Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sink/disposal backs up into dishwasher/floor

Help. This is the second time in two years that the sink with the garbage disposal has backed up into the dishwasher and then all over the floor.
    in-sink-erator disposal and frigidaire dishwasher

when the dishwasher drains do you have the garbage disposal running? do you ever fill the sink then drain it? could be because the sink is higher than the dishwasher it is back siphoning into the dishwasher. normally the dishwasher drain has an air gap to prevent a back flow.

Comment

Originally posted by chang-savoy

the second time in two years that the sink with the garbage disposal has backed up into the dishwasher and then all over the floor.
      I suggest you look into why your disposal isn't draining properly and also install an air gap (see the link and illustration below) in the drain line between the dishwasher and disposer... if it isn't already mandated by building codes in your area.

LINK > Dishwasher Drain Air Gap

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

disposal/dishwasher

No, the disposal is not running while the dishwasher is running. I had just emptied the washer and was rinsing dishes to go in. I noticed water running across the floor. I will check what you suggested, any other ideas?

Comment

The dishwasher line into the garbage disposal is higher then the main discharge line from the garbage disposal, it sounds to me like there might be a small blockage in the main line (P trap possibly), try the following test:

Put the plug in he sink and then fill your sink with water, pull the plug out and take notice of how fast the sink empties, it should empty pretty quickly, if it is draining slowly then this would allow the disposal chamber to fill with water and back flow down the dishwasher line.
          If this is the case (draining slowly) try removing the P trap and seeing if there are any blockages.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Pre-rinsing dishes

Originally posted by chang-savoy

I had just emptied the dishwasher and was rinsing dishes to go in.
            JFYI. You should not be rinsing (as in under a tap) dishes before washing if that's what you were doing. Only scraping large food scraps from them should be done.

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
              The dishwasher line into the garbage disposal is higher then the main discharge line from the garbage disposal, it sounds to me like there might be a small blockage in the main line (P trap possibly), try the following test:

Put the plug in he sink and then fill your sink with water, pull the plug out and take notice of how fast the sink empties, it should empty pretty quickly, if it is draining slowly then this would allow the disposal chamber to fill with water and back flow down the dishwasher line.
              If this is the case (draining slowly) try removing the P trap and seeing if there are any blockages.
              what side of the sink do i put the water in?

Comment

both sides

Comment

As a side note to this, most newer dishwashers are now being supplied with backflow preventer valves.
                  Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                  Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =