Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag Dishwasher

I have a maytag model "dwu8402aae" dishwasher. It is leaking water from around the motor. At first I thought it was drain hose leaking because the water was on the floor under it. So I tightened it and ran the dishwasher. With the dishwasher on the drain part of cycle, water sprays out between drain hose and motor bracket. With the dishwasher washing or off, it drips slowly off the motor bracket. It looks like there could be a seal around the motor shaft but I can't see in there enough to know if there is where the water is comming from. What I can tell is that it comming from the center and not where the plastic housing meets the tub and the hose at sink side flows full pipe so it isn't clogged. Is there a seal I could replace and repair this and if so can you suggest a procedure. I think one would disemble from the inside of the dishwasher removing the six or eight screws and then work on down or do I need to pull the motor down. Any tricks to installing the seal if thats it? Otherwise the DW seems to be in good shape? Thanks!

Pump impeller seal?

There is a seal between the motor shaft and the pump housing, below the drain impeller. If it has failed it would cause leaking onto the motor. Whether it is the cause in your case, I couldn't say from here.

You can see an exploded parts view of your model at the following link.

LINK > Maytag DWU8402AAE Exploded Parts Views

If that seal is indeed needed, the other mating half and possibly the drain impeller too should usually be replaced at the same time to ensure a proper seal. All those items plus the pump housing gasket and instructions are also available in a single kit if needed. Servicing the pump is usually done from inside the tub.

LINK > Maytag DWU8402AAE Pump Impeller and Seal Kit

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Ok got it apart!

Ok, I was able to verify that there is water at the motor shaft so it does appear to be that seal. I've studied the exploded view of the pump and I start at the top inside the dishwasher and remove the 8 torx screws. then I removed the top of the pump, the impeller screw etc to expose the seal. Thanks to your post, it was pretty easy to get it all apart.

Now once I have a kit, do I just pry the seal out then press in a new one? Is there anything else I should know? Is there a special technique to it? What would the mating surface be for this seal. It would appear that it is the motor shaft and the drain impeller?

Now if I can just find a kit in stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Hill

once I have a kit, do I just pry the seal out then press in a new one?
        Yes.

Is there anything else I should know? Is there a special technique to it?
        There is a special tool to install such seals but it is rarely needed. The biggest thing it trying to avoid touching the seal faces with your bare fingers during installation. The oil from your skin can prevent them from sealing properly against each other or lead to premature leaking. I would imagine it should state as much in the kit's installation instructions.

What would the mating surface be for this seal. It would appear that it is the motor shaft and the drain impeller?
        Half the seal presses into the pump housing, the other half fits inside the drain impeller.

Now if I can just find a kit in stock?
        The vendor I linked to showed they had stock of the seal kit.

LINK > Maytag DWU8402AAE Pump Impeller and Seal Kit

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 04-29-2008, 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi, every one

I Replaced the drain seal (the conical one) and I'm not sure If the small side must be on top or at the bottom.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by zappa

I replaced the drain [impeller] seal (the conical one) and I'm not sure If the small side must be on top or at the bottom.
            You mean the spring loaded one? The same way as the original was installed.

I would think it will only fit into the housing one way anyway regardless. The largest diameter into the housing with its shinny ceramic face pointing outward to mate against the impeller (which is the other half of the seal).

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Good, I 'm relief cause that's how I reassembled it

Thanks for your prompt respond.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =