Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise = Ice close to Fan

We bought a used (trying to save money) Whirlpool side-by-side Refrigerator/freezer. It is about 2 years old now. We have had it about 6 months. We have already had to replace the ice maker about 2 months ago cause it stopped working. That was around a $100.00

We have another problem since we put in the ice maker....it is now dripping water from somewhere, maybe the ice maker is dripping I dunno, but it drips onto the styrofoam insulation and it freezing the drips till it becomes so big the fan hits the ice therefore making a loud, annoying noise....this is not your normal clicking, grinding, humming nosies. I promise. We chipped away the ice and the noise went away, but now it's back...AGAIN after only about a month!

Hubby is at work now and I am trying to find a fix for him so he can fix it himself. We really need to do this on our own as money is tight hence why we bought a used refrigerator.

I don't know what to else to say or ask so if you all ask I will reply ASAP with an answer so I can help you to help us.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

More information required

Originally posted by Sugar

Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator/freezer about 2 years old
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number (see the following link).

LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

since we put in the ice maker.... it is now dripping water from somewhere, maybe the ice maker is dripping I dunno
    Someone is going to have to find out for certain so we can suggest possible causes. Water "leaks" in a working freezer compartment will often leave a trail of ice trickles from their origin and of course, the leak will have to be above where an ice accumulation is found due to gravity.

it drips onto the styrofoam insulation and it freezing the drips till it becomes so big the fan hits the ice
    Is it clear "ice" or white snow-like "frost"? It is an important distinction.

Excessive frost build-up could form on the evaporator (cooling) coil in the freezer compartment to the point of hampering the freezer fan's operation. That could be caused by a defrost system failure rather than any kind of leak.

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I hope this is what you are wanting...
      Model Number
      ED5PHEXRL00 (last 2 are zeros I do believe) Also I posted a picture.

Thanks again! And I will read all you post to hubby!

Comment

It is clear ice not frost.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar
          I hope this is what you are wanting...

Model Number ED5PHEXRL00 (last 2 are zeros I do believe)
          Yes to both.

The freezer fan looks to be mounted pretty high up on that model. I don't know where any water from above could come from to freeze near it besides from the icemaker. I suggest you double check its installation. There may be a slim chance water is either overflowing the icemaker or splashing out during a fill and dripping down.

The only other possibility I can think of is maybe incomplete cooling of the evaporator coil as described in reference to a refrigeration system problem at the link I previously supplied. Someone might need to inspect it if the icemaker and its water supply is functioning properly.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan O I will relay this info to hubby tonight. I just came by looking for your reply.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =