Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garbage disposal leaks

My garbage disposal is leaking from the bottom. I don't know how long it's been doing this because cleaning supplies are stored in a container under the sink, and I just noticed yesterday that the container is full of water. I had a dishwasher installed (replacement) two weeks ago - had to remove the supplies and didn't notice the water, so I'm guessing that it started leaking after the dishwasher installation.
    The disposal is at least 5 years and probably closer to 20. I can't find the model or S/N on the insinkerator site.

My gut tells me that the timing is coincidental and that the disposal is just old and worn out. But my question is: is it possible that the installer damaged it while replacing the dishwasher? I thought about calling him back to have a look but I'm sure he'll charge if it's not related to the installation.

Thanks

I don't think the installer is at fault. The disposal connection for the dishwasher is on the side of the housing into the grinding chamber. More than likely it's the ceramic seal between the motor and grinding chamber. There's a carbon disk and a ceramic seal. The carbon washer rotates on the ceramic seal forming a water tight seal. When this wears out water from the grinding chamber works its way into the motor - past the rotor and lower bearing and comes out through the end bell. Time for a new disposal.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the explanation. After reading it, I realized that the problem is not such a coincidence after all. My last dishwasher had not worked for 3 years, so now it's not surprising that the 4-5 gallons running daily through a disposal on its last legs would cause it to start leaking.

I don't use the disposal that much ... is it ok to continue running the dishwasher until I can replace the disposal?

Thanks again!

Comment

sure, go ahead but keep that bucket handy under the disposal.

Comment

Disconnect power/fuse, etc.

Originally posted by fortuna

My garbage disposal is leaking from the bottom. ... is it ok to continue running the dishwasher until I can replace the disposal?
          It would be prudent to disconnect the disposal's power supply (not just rely on its switch being off). If water is coming out through its bottom, that water is going right through the unit's motor windings which could pose a short or electrocution hazard.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan, I forgot what the disposal looks like inside. Is there a centrifugal start switch underneath the end bell beneath the grinder chamber?

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518

Is there a centrifugal start switch underneath the end bell beneath the grinder chamber?
              Usually, yes... among other electrical components.

LINK > ISE 555ss Exploded Parts Views

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com
              The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X
              =