Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Profile PSC25MSTA top light out

When I opened the door to the frige the top light was out and the lens was hot. I took both bulbs out and put them in a lamp and they both worked. The bulb receptacle was too hot to touch but after awhile the unit cooled down so I put a bulb in and it worked again. This overheated while the door was closed. Any help would be appreciated.

Light switch shorted??

** This overheated while the door was closed. **

It sounds like the light is not shutting off when the door is closed. That is usually controlled by a door activated light switch (see the following link). Have you tried pushing its button to see if the light turns off?

LINK > GE PSC25MSTASS Refrigerator Compartment Light Switch

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Yes I did push the switch in the jam and the lights went off. There are lights behind one other shelf and that was fine.

Comment

If all lights turn off by the same switch I would assume all should experience the same symptoms. You could try looking at the appliance's wiring diagram to see if there is anything else in the electrical circuit with just that one light which could cause it to stay on even when the door switch is functioning properly.

If it isn't the light staying on that is heating the lens cover, I don't know what would be. A loose connection at or in the socket could cause that socket (and anything connected directly to it) to heat and even open the circuit once hot but I can't see that being transferred to its cover. That heating could also only occur when the light was being powered.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

in the center of the lamp receptacle is a flat copper or bronze spring contact. throughout the years with a lamp in it, and if there is any arcing, the contact loses its springy-ness. arcing causes heat and a high resistance to the flow of electricity. I would suggest you unplug the fridge - remove the bulb - and use a popsicle stick to slightly bend the spring contact a little in the outward direction. put a tiny bit of vaseline petroleum jelly on the lamp screw shell and re-insert the bulb in its socket. the vaseline assures that the bulb won't get "welded" in the socket. bulb bases are usually aluminum and the receptacle shells are either aluminum or brass.

Comment

That's a good trick - can you use dielectric grease instead of P-jelly?

Comment

yeah any non conductive grease can be used.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =