Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoldStar microwave...

Okay, I know it's old. Really realized that when writing down the nomenclature from the plate. However...here's the info:
    GoldStar microwave
    Model - MA-1172M
    Output - 2450 MHz
    Serial - 50100434

For a few days it would turn on by just opening the door. No numbers were pushed. To turn it off, shut the door.
    Today my wife was using it and it quit. Although the timer numbers can be set and they do their count down, there's nothing humming to heat the food.
    Okay, so it's old. Is it something simple? A door latch out of whack? Or toss it and invest in something newer than thirteen years old?

** it would turn on by just opening the door. **

A fan might run (maybe the turntable rotate) when the door was opened but it wouldn't heat that way. That could be cause by a defective door switch or the switch holder mechanism broken or out of adjustment.

** the timer numbers can be set and they do their count down, [it's not heating] the food. **

That would have to be investigated. It might be related to the door switches as well.

** Is it something simple? **

There is no one single possibility, no. It could just be one of the at least 3 (or more) door switches. How simple it would be to actually track down the cause is something else.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Bob, they're cheap enuff and its done its duty. yeah dump it and get a new one. maybe you can resurrect it by buying parts but its like a boat - a hole in the water you keep dumping money.

Comment

Micro wave issue...

Thanks, Dan O. Will investigate.
        And HayZee...that 'hole-in-the-water' comment sure hit below the water line (belt). Although VERY expensive...(an hour of seat time lately is fast approaching 1K) it's a definate brain massage to be out there in the middle, swinging from the hook....

Comment

Microwave....

Well, apparently HayZee and my wife are in cahoots, as I was hauled off to the store today in NO uncertain terms and was told to "Put this one here in the cart."! Really...is thirteen years too much to ask for an appliance? And now all I heard all day is how nice this has this feature, how nice is that one....Cripe! It's like we just discovered fire! I mean really, does it really NEED a special setting for cooking rice????

Comment

Mr Capt Bob - I apologize for raising hard feelings, but I see there's only so far you can go with an appliance that's served you for as many years as this one has. Like when I spoke to your son about my Oldsmobile with the intake manifold gasket problem. I got the gasket in and the engine fired up and ran, but then the head gasket blew out. Try as I might but I couldn't get out the last two bolts to pull the engine. So..............I gave up and got a new car. Sometimes ya got to bite the bullet.

Comment

Micro wave....

Aw heck, HayZee...it's all fun... no apologies.....I was so surprised at myself! when I saw the manufacture date was January 1995! I knew it was due. Just didn't want to bite the money bullet....Wife was reading the notes over my shoulder with me and said "See....yadda, yadda, yadda...." right away I knew I lost.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =