Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ge arctica water line frozen again

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me because my fridge continuosly keeps freezing up the water line. I've adjusted the temperature a million times to try and avoid this but no success. I have also replaced both water filters, and changed the water line. What I do now is turn the fridge and freezer completely off for a long period of time in order to defrost the line.
    Also I've noticed that my ice maker makes ice just fine but it doesn't always dispense it when I want it to.

I bought this refrigerator used so I had to get the manual online. I have tried everything except calling a repair man. I would like to avoid doing that especially if it's a simple problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerley,

-Gabriel

Which water line?

** GE Arctica [fridge] **

I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number and possibly its serial number as well.

** continuosly keeps freezing up the water line. **

Which water line? The one(s) inside the fridge compartment or the one that goes through the freezer door?

If the former, the fridge section may be getting too cold. If the later, you may have one of GE's earlier Arctica models with too little insulation in the freezer door. On those GE was replacing the doors with thicker ones containing more insulation. That was done on a rework program at n/c to customers but wouldn't likely apply to a used refrigerator nor be cost effective if you had to pay for it yourself.

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

GE Arctica

I realize now that I did not add the model number. Unfortunately I am not at home so I would have to send that to you later.

As for the water line. I know that it's not the external water line in the back because I have checked this repeatedly and water is flowing properly without any freezing. I believe that the problem lies inside the refrigerator.

The temperature has something to do with it as well. The fridge has a digital thermostat and when I set it to a warmer setting it goes back to arctic temperatures automatically after a while. Just the other night I noticed that the freezer section was litterally freezing all my food. I know it's supposed to freeze but that was a sight to see! It had a layer of ice covering everything!

Do you think perhaps it maybe a problem with the teperature controls? If so, what could I do? I bought this fridge used (big mistake) and would like to avoid calling a repair man.

I know it's hard to give advice without the specifics, but it's a black GE Arctica side by side with water/ice Dispenser.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Which water line?

I am not sure if I was clear on your question thus I am responding again.

The water line in question appears to be the one in the freezer section where the water is dispensed to the outside. Correct me if I am wrong on that but it's what I believe is the source.

The ice machine is fine but the more I talk about it the more I think it is a temperature problem.

Like I said before any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Arctica headaches

** The water line in question appears to be the one in the freezer section **

There is no water line *in* the freezer section or else it would freeze. For a chilled water dispenser the water comes into the fridge compartment to a water reservoir where it is cooled. The water line then leaves the cabinet and runs to and through the freezer door to the dispenser.

** The fridge has a digital thermostat and when I set it to a warmer setting it goes back to arctic temperatures automatically after a while. **

I wouldn't think it should change on its own. There may be a problem with the control system.

** I know it's supposed to freeze but that was a sight to see! It had a layer of ice covering everything! **

Clear "ice" or white snow-like "frost"? It is usually an important distinction. But in either case even if the freezer could get to absolute zero (−459.67 °F), neither would form on freezer contents.

If it was actually frost that was forming, that is usually a sign of warm humid air entering the cabinet. On GE's Arctica models that is most often caused by the ice cube dispenser door not closing properly between use but could also be caused by the freezer door not sealing properly or just the door being left ajar.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

As for the freezer either beinf clear ice or white snow. It's definitely white snow. This was pretty heavy duty for a freezer in my opinion.

I do have an air vent pretty close by that points in the direction of the fridge so I wonder if that could be what you mean by warmer air possibly getting in.

As for the controls, I tried changing the temperature yesterday because the water dispenser was not functioning again and I would press and hold the desired temperature and it would basically ignore my setting and go back to the previous setting.

I'm not sure what's happening there but it's pretty darn annoying.

Getting back to the humid air possibly getting in, would that really affect the water dispenser?

Comment

** an air vent points in the direction of the fridge so I wonder if that could be what you mean by warmer air possibly getting in. **

No. With the refrigerator doors closed the same air is circulated throughout the appliance over and over again. When room air is able to continually infiltrate the appliance, the moisture from it condenses out onto surfaces. If frost is forming on food packages and/or freezer surfaces, warm are is leaking into the appliance when it shouldn't be (ie. when the doors are closed or are suppose to be).

** would [humid air possibly getting in] really affect the water dispenser? **

No, I never said it would. It was only posted in a reply to your statement "It (the freezer) had a layer of [frost] covering everything!" and your assumption that freezer temperature had something to do with it. The frosting condition is NOT an indicator of freezer temperature as stated above. Whether the freezer is too cold can only be determined by actually measuring it with a thermometer. The freezer being too cold *might* cause the water line inside the freezer door to freeze on older models that were manufactured with too little insulation in that door.

** I tried changing the temperature yesterday and it would basically ignore my setting and go back to the previous setting **

I don't know what could be responsible for that besides possibly a problem in the control system although if your fridge model has a 'child lock' feature (check the owner's manual), it might prevent tempering with the control settings.

You might want to consider biting the bullet and having a GE *factory authorized* technician check out the appliance. GE's electronically controlled Arctica refrigerator models are difficult to diagnose at the best of times and have experienced a myriad of design flaws in their short history.

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
              Last edited by Dan O.; 09-11-2008, 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
              X
              =