Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitched-Aid SuperBa SureCare 3 Speed Whisper Quiet no spin during rinse cycle

Hi,

I did no take a peek yet at the model # for now due to the access. But on the washing machine the labels are 'Kitched-Aid SuperBa SureCare 3 Speed Whisper Quiet'. It is a Cdn model anyways, so it may not be identifiable in this forum.

Basically, it works fine during the wash cycle, but during rinse the tub will not spin. I hear the motor working but when I lift the lid, I do not see the tub moving at all.

I checked the balance and it looks good from left - right and front to back. Another observation is that looking down at the tub, the outer-rim seems off centre from the opening (where the lid rests). I can move the tub in all directions, I don't know if this is normal or it should be more rigid?

I have checked the symptom flow chart and many causes are listed but I would rather have someone suggest a more probable cause and solution.

- water level switch?
    - motor coupler?

Regards,
    Gus

Model number?

** the labels are 'Kitched-Aid SuperBa SureCare 3 Speed Whisper Quiet'. **

I'm afraid that is of no help at all in identifying the product.

** It is a [Canadian] model anyways, so it may not be identifiable [for] this forum. **

Maybe but we'll never know until we have that information to check.

** during rinse the tub will not spin. **

How about during the spin portion of the cycle??

** I hear the motor working but when I lift the lid, I do not see the tub moving at all. **

Did it spin after the lid was closed again?

** I have checked the symptom flow chart **

What 'symptom flow chart' are you referring to??

** motor coupler? **

Is it agitating?

A motor coupling problem would affect both agitation AND spin but is only used on a Whirlpool built 'direct drive' washer design. If your washer isn't that washer design, it doesn't have a motor coupler.

** water level switch? **

A water level switch should have nothing to do with spinning, only filling with water.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.ca
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 09-13-2008, 12:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The model # is YKAWE777BW1.

The tub does not spin during the spin portion of the cycle.

I took apart the washer, I jumpered the lid switch and the turned it ON during the spin cycle. The clutch disc viewable on the shaft did not spin and the tub did not turn. The pump was working. During the wash cycle, the agitator did work and the clutch disc was rocking back and forth.

The symptom flow chart was off another website.

I am thinking that either the clutch assembly or the transmission needs repair.

Comment

** The model # is YKAWE777BW1 **

That is a Whirlpool built 'direct drive' washer design.

** The tub does not spin during the spin portion of the cycle.**

That could be caused by a timer problem (see the following link) or a problem inside the transmission.

LINK > Direct Drive Washer Timer Pause

** the agitator did work **

Than the coupler is not the problem.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.ca

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for the timer link. I'll do a timer check, but I definitely do recall that when we set the knob to spin, the motor (pump) would run, but no spin. We lifted the lid, then closed the lid again, motor (pump) started again but no spinning .... I'll double check again.

If the clutch was bad or slipping, would one expect to see some movement of the clutch during the spin cycle? Since the clutch is not moving at all, is this why the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the failure is in the gearbox if the timer is working fine.

Comment

With the cabinet off, I let the water drain almost drain out, then I disconnected the jumper for the lid switch, the motor stopped. I then reconnected the jumper, the motor went back to On but no spinning of the tub.

So it looks like the gearcase(transmission) needs to be replaced.

It is $200 Cdn for a new transmission and $100 for a rebuilt (provided I return the old one). Which one should I go for?

Do I need to also buy a clutch assembly, or can I reuse the existing one? The new transmission does not come with the clutch assembly.

Comment

** $200 for a new transmission and $100 for a rebuilt. Which one should I go for? **

Depending on whom is doing the rebuilding (ie. Joe Shmoe or directly from Inglis/Whirlpool), rebuilt shouldn't be a bad choice. If you're mechanically inclined, there is a repair kit to fix that particular function of the transmission (see the link below) which you might be able to do yourself.

LINK > Transmission Neutral Drain Kit

It is certainly less hassle to replace the whole transmission.

** Do I need to also buy a clutch assembly **

Not unless it is defective as well. Usually the original can be reinstalled.

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.ca

=D~~~~~~
              Last edited by Dan O.; 09-13-2008, 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am mechanically inclined but would there be instructions on doing this somewhere? I assume that the oil has to be drained out, transmission taken apart etc.

Would this type of kit be applicable to my model # type?
                Last edited by dieselgg; 09-13-2008, 12:16 PM.

Comment

** would there be instructions on doing this somewhere? **

Maybe in a repair manual (see the following link). I haven't seen that job detailed on-line anywhere.

LINK > Whirlpool/Kenmore Direct-Drive Washing Machine Repair Manual

** Would this type of kit be applicable to my model # **

That is the installation instructions which will be included in that kit, yes.

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.ca

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for all your help. I replaced the transmission (rebuilt) and everything works fine now.

None of the parts stores carried the neutral-drain-kit. It would have to be ordered.. It would have been nice to take apart the transmission and replace the defective parts with the kit for further learning. I can only assume that they don't have regular stock of the kit so that you would be forced to buy a new or rebuilt transmission. They figure no one would want to wait for the part to come in.

Either way, thanks again!

Comment

Fixed

** I can only assume that they don't have regular stock of the kit so that you would be forced to buy a new or rebuilt transmission. **

It's usually because the majority of people (including technicians) prefer to replace the transmission as a whole rather than fiddling with rebuilding it them self. I know our own technicians wouldn't do it except in very, very rare cases. It is a lot simpler and quicker that way.

** I replaced the transmission and everything works fine now. **

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.ca

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =