Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag convection oven doesn't work/broiler and stoves do

I have a model MGR5770ADW Maytag Convection oven. A while back I noticed that it was taking a very long time for the oven to heat up and now it will not heat up at all.
    I removed to bottom plate to see what was going on. The glow rod glows normally but there is never any flame. I do, however, smell a faint odor of gas.
    The broiler and all four stoves work perfectly so I am unsure what might be going on.

Needs actual testing

Originally posted by shadowman

Maytag [gas range] model MGR5770ADW was taking a very long time for the oven to heat up and now it will not heat up at all. The broiler and all four stove [burners] work...
    The broiler is part of the oven so I assume you just mean the oven will not heat when on bake.

The [bake] glow rod glows normally but there is never any flame.
    That could be caused by a 'weak' oven ignitor or a defective oven gas valve.

LINK > Maytag MGR5770ADW Bake Burner Ignitor
    LINK > Maytag MGR5770ADW Oven Dual Gas Valve

The only way to isolate which is the cause would be to test the amperage draw on the ignitor circuit as explained at the following link.

LINK > Understanding Gas Oven Ignition Systems

Do you have an ammeter or amprobe? If not, all that could be done is guess at the cause and take a chance on replacing one part at a time. (Not usually recommended.) A defective oven ignitor is usually the most common troublemaker in such an ignition system.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O.
      Do you have an ammeter or amprobe?
      I do have a multimeter but I do not see in the link you provided how I would go about measuring the draw with a glow tube. Did I miss it somehow?

Last edited by Dan O.; 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM. Reason: Quote formatting

Comment

I do have a multimeter
        That is not necessarily the same as an ammeter. Does it have a function to measure amperage? Many don't, just resistance and voltage.

how I would go about measuring the draw with a glow tube.
        By "glow tube" do you mean a tool that just indicates if current is present in a wire by glowing when touched to it??? You wouldn't use such a tool for the needed test. An actual meter which registers the exact amount of amperage draw of the circuit is required. A clamp-on type is the usual type used.

LINK > Clamp Ammeter

LINK > Multimeter features and functions explained

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =