Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE ice flap and ice auger problem

I have a side by side GE stainless refrigerator that keeps having the ice auger motor freeze up. I can thaw the motor with a hair dryer but it will freeze up again shortly. I think the ice dispensor flap in the door is the problem because it is partially open letting warm air into the freezer creating a build up of frost. I am trying to figure out how to get to the flap. I took off the trim around the dispenser and removed the screws but the dispenser unit will not come out of the door. Any suggestions??

Thanks

Model number?

Originally posted by mission

side by side GE stainless refrigerator
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number.

Forum Instructions Link > Please include Make and Model # in post

If you post that information someone might be able to answer your question or at least look up to see which GE refrigerator design you're dealing with. They're not all the same.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The model number is TFS25 PPBB BS.

Comment

Front serviceable?

model number TFS25 PPBB BS... the dispenser unit will not come out of the door.
        The closest model number I found a listing for was TFS25PPBEBS. On it I do not believe the dispenser assembly is removable. It should be front serviceable (see the following link).

LINK > Newer GE fridge dispenser

The solenoid on such a dispenser can rust causing problems with the chute door.

LINK > GE TFS25PPBEBS Dispenser Solenoid

If interested you an see exploded part view diagrams for the model number I listed at this link:

LINK > GE TFS25PPBEBS Exploded Parts Views

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 10-26-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

OK, the information so far has been great. I was able to access the ice chute through the front of the door. I noticed that I could close it manually by wiggling it a little. If I open it like if ice was going through it, it will stay open just slightly. It seems something on top of the solenoid pops up and interferes with the chute closing all the way. When this occurs, warm air enters and causes frost. How can I determine if this is a solenoid problem?

Comment

Solenioid...

Easy fix. Remove the screws holding that solenoid. I think there may be two or three Phillips heads doing that. Unhook the solenoid from the flapper door hook. Clean the solenoid plunger from the soft rust that's built up on it. Also clean out the inside of the solenoid coil as clean as you can get it. Lubricate it with a THIN film of light grease. The grease will help keep it from getting rusty again preventing proper operation. It's a difficult place to keep condensation from forming and rusting stuff back up. BUt it's an easy enough fix that even if you'd have to do it again in a couple years, it's not a big deal. Also, replace those Phillips screws with stainless ones. Just can't figure out why companies don't use stainless around appliances that use water.

Comment

This sounds like a great fix. I will get on this tomorrow night after work and let you know how it went. It's exactly what I need to do tomorrow for some satisfaction! Just a question though, do you think this might solve my auger motor freezing up or should I order the auger motor boot part from GE that covers the motor to protect it from freezing again?

Comment

Ice auger...

I'm stepping into Dan O's territory here. Not all THAT knowing! I guess it may be possible for the ice to bog up at the front to keep the auger from doing it's job. That's what was happening to ours 'till I brought the solenoid back to life. Hope Dan corrects me when I'm wrong....

Comment

do you think this might solve my auger motor freezing up or should I order the auger motor boot part from GE that covers the motor to protect it from freezing again?
                  Moist air infiltration into the freezer compartment could alone cause the motor freeze up.

I do not believe the auger motor on the model I looked up has any 'boot' associated with it anyway. The 'boot kit' GE came up with most recently was for their electronically controlled Arctica and Eterna refrigerator designs, not yours AFAIK.

LINK > GE Arctica and Eterna Auger Motor Boot

I do not know whether it would fit on your model (although the motors do look similar) and I don't know of any other boot that is available. It might be worth a try if that symptom returns after the other problem has been resolved or if you have to order parts for the other repair anyway. The boot isn't very expensive.

JMO

PS. Did you double check the model number?

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                  Last edited by Dan O.; 10-27-2008, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Yeah, funny thing, I double checked the model number and I am correct as the model number I read is off the fridge on the lower right front. But every time I tell a parts dept, no one can find that model number. Mystery.
                    The frost build up is solved with no air getting into the freezer. I just haven't thawed out the auger motor since I fixed the solenoid problem. I hope to get to this when I am back in town next week.

Thanks for everyone's help...you guys are great!

Comment

Fixed

I double checked the model number and [it is] correct. But no one can find that model number.
                      It looks correct and fits in series with other GE fridge model numbers (see below) but it just isn't listed in any of the GE parts lists I have access to.

Found model numbers:
                      TFS25PPBABS
                      TFS25PPBCBS
                      TFS25PPBEBS
                      TFS25PPBGBS

The frost build up is solved with no air getting into the freezer [anymore]. I fixed the solenoid problem.
                      So it was only the solenoid. Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =