Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag gas dryer LDG8604AAE not heating

I have a maytag dependable care plus gas dryer model LDG8604AAE that is not heating. After reading the threads on here i "believe" that my igniter is no longer working but i have not checked it yet. I have looked at parts fiche online and come to the conclusion that i have to remove the entire dryer cover(front and side panels) to access the igniter, is this the case? I consider myself mechanically and electronically inclined, so the task doesn't bother me, but the more knowledgeable i am before starting the task the better off I'll be in the long run. Other threads point to the gas solenoid, which may be bad, but i won't know until i can inspect the internals of this machine. Also, anything i should replace while i'm in there(common wear items)? Thanks for looking, thanks for your time, and thanks for your knowledge. BTW, i know this is my first post on here, and i may be new to this forum, but i like to think i'm a "seasoned" forum user and would appreciate any constructive criticism if you feel this first post is out of line in any way. JET

Originally posted by jetcycles

Maytag gas dryer model LDG8604AAE. I have come to the conclusion that i have to remove the entire dryer cover (front and side panels) to access the igniter, is this the case?
    Only the front panel should need to be removed for service, maybe the top raised. (The side and back panels are one piece and is what all the rest of the machine is built upon. You can't take them off.) The ignitor's operation *might* be able to be observed through the rear access panel. That observation is critical to start the diagnostic process on gas dryers.

If interested, there is a service manual available for your design of Maytag dryer (see the following link).

LINK > 1994-1997 Maytag Gas/Electric Dryer Service Manual

Also, anything i should replace while i'm in there?
    Not unless they broken or show signs of wear. A good vacuuming wouldn't hurt... as well as cleaning of the venting all the way from the dryer to the outdoors.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

thank you for your time and info. I'm going to open it up this evening since i couldn't see the igniter through the rear access panel upon initial inspection. While I'm in there i think I'll use a voltmeter to check resistance on some other parts if i find the igniter to be functioning, as well as vacuum everything i can reach. I'll keep this thread updated with my findings. . .

Comment

i got the front panel removed and cycled the dryer to see if the igniter would glow. . .it did not. I unplugged the dryer from the outlet, disconnected the connection to the igniter and tested the igniter using my fluke meter. . .I'm now positive the igniter is bad(i hope that's the only bad part!!!). I went ahead and ordered the igniter from a link posted in another thread on this site(i think repairclinic.com), as well as a new lint screen since mine is a little beat up. i guess only time will tell if my diagnosis was accurate, until then, I'll clean the interior cabinet to the best of my ability and wait for the parts to arrive. . .

Comment

Originally posted by jetcycles

I'm now positive the igniter is bad. i guess only time will tell if my diagnosis was accurate
          Let us know how you make out.

I'll clean the interior cabinet to the best of my ability
          While that's a good idea the dryer's actual venting is much more important (see the following link). Besides reduced drying ability and possibly leading to premature failure of the dryer's burner components, it could become a fire hazard!

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

Tip: Cleaning the dryer venting all the way from the dryer to the outdoors should be done several times a year, especially now nearing the cold whether where a dryer is usually used more often.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X
          =