Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which brand(s) to buy???

Hi and Happy Holidays to all!!

I need some advice/opinions/guidance about kitchen appliances- namely which brands and/or models you would consider good to purchase. We moved into a home almost two years ago that has old and some barely-working appliances that need replacing as I refuse to repair the danged things! If I smack my head one more time inside the frig, I'll be unable to think anymore!

So, refrigerator (need a largish one for a family of 5) gas range, otr micro and dishwasher. Any suggestions about which brand(s) to consider? I've looked at Kenmore and only liked the gas range....
    Thanks for taking the time to read and (hopefully) reply!
    Kpster

small appliances - OSTER, CUISINARTE. Fridge - WHIRLPOOL, GENERAL ELECTRIC. Microwave - SHARP. Gas Range - FEDERAL, NORGE. Dishwasher - SEARS is good.

Comment

Thanks!! I'm off to search out Norge and General- never heard of these before!
      kpstr

Comment

Appliance shopping

Originally posted by kpster

I'm off to search out Norge and General - never heard of these before!
        Norge is a brand of Maytag (see the following link). I don't even know if it is being marketed any longer and if so, will likely only be available in certain chain stores.

LINK > Who makes what appliance brand?

HayZee518 also suggested "General Electric" (not just "General") which would not be a choice of mine in most cases and especially not so for a refrigerator which most now incorporate electronic controls (but not necessarily electronic displays which would then be obvious to consumers as to what they're getting - see the following link).

LINK > Machines don't actually need to have a touchpad or LED screen to contain electronic components. Click here for an example.

Also, "Kenmore" branded products could be made by any number of different manufacturers (see the brand link above) so you may not know what manufacturer's product you're actually getting. I've never heard of a Federal brand gas range at all unless it is also a chain store brand in which case see the following link.

LINK > Private Label Appliance Brands

There is no one brand or model that is best overall and for everyone. You'll have to pick the features you like or need and then see what products have them for the price you're willing to pay. *Generally* Whirlpool products (under any of their brand names - see the brand link above) are pretty decent across the line. For recommendations on specific models try Consumer Reports but even then they will not necessarily be the best choice *for you*.

I suggest you get brand name appliances with just the features you need or will use and not be swayed by fancy features and gizmos that increase initial cost but also the frequency of repairs down the line which will affect its overall longevity.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 12-27-2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =