Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ge pss25mgna not freezing

For the 2nd time in a couple of weeks, my GE PSS25mgna side by side fridge has stopped cooling. By accident, I have come up with a short term fix but don't know what the problem is. It seems to start cooling again if I unplug it and plug it back in.
    Thanks

GE PSS25mgna side by side fridge has stopped cooling
    You can read about common possibilities at the following link. Each would have to be inspected/tested for *at the time of failure* until the cause in your case was isolated.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

I have come up with a short term fix
    Which was what exactly??

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I can tell you that when it isn't cooling right, I can't hear the compressor running. All I can hear is a fan. When I unplug it and plug it back in, I can hear the compressor come on. When it is working, it works good.
      I did this last night and this morning it is still going strong.
      The last time it stopped cooling was a couple of weeks ago and I unplugged it and plugged it back in the same way. It worked for over 2 weeks with no problems before doing it again.

Comment

investigation needed at time of failure

when it isn't cooling right, I can't hear the compressor running. All I can hear is a fan.
        Normally the fans and compressor should be running at the same time. It may be that the compressor WAS getting power but just NOT running. That could point to a problem in the compressor or its starting relay or overload protector. The compressor could have cut out on its overload protector as a safety precaution and was awaiting a cooling period before restarting. That could be a sign of bigger problems to come if not looked into.

Alternately it could be that the control system is not supplying power to the just the compressor (only the fans) when the fridge should be cooling in which case the control system could be suspect for the compressor not running.

Until someone checks whether power is getting to the compressor when it isn't running (ie. at time of failure and before unplugging and plugging back in), neither possibility can be ruled out.

BTW. If the compressor overheating was the cause (or result) of the compressor not running, the fridge should be turned off or disconnected from power for at least 10-15 minutes to give it a chance to cool before trying to restart it or damage to the compressor could result.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =