Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frigidaire compressor line frozen

While at my mothers, I noticed her wood laminate floor starting to split under the fridge. Upon sliding the fridge out, removing the back panel and checking for leaks I noticed the copper line coming from the compressor was covered in Ice about an inch thick. This line has been freezing and melting and has caused the floor to seperate. The line does not go over the evaporation pan. Frigidaire side by side Model #ASD2324HEB. The Compressor was replaced (Warrenty 1.5 years ago as i have read, most fail) Thanks to anyone who can help with this repair.
    Last edited by schneider122; 04-11-2009, 08:38 PM. Reason: trying to attach picture

a lack of refrigerant will almost always cause high condensate to build up on the compressor's suction line. this line always is the coldest. the smaller tubing is the high pressure side and is warm, almost hot to the touch when the compressor is working properly.

Comment

So does the compressor need to be charged? Is this a repair we should probably have a technician complete?
      Thanks for the immediate response.

Comment

R-22 and R-12 needs the care of an hvac professional. He's epa certified.

Comment

Originally posted by schneider122
          the copper line coming from the compressor was covered in Ice about an inch thick
          That will be the "heat exchanger". It is not a single line but two, a small capillary tube usually soldered to a 1/4 OD copper tube (hidden under the covering insulation). When the solder breaks down the two can separate causing frost to build up on it.

If the heat exchanger has separated it can be corrected easily without tampering with the refrigeration system. You can see Frigidaire's repair kit for that problem at the following link:

LINK > Frigidaire Refrigerator Heat Exchanger Repair Kit

Other than that, over-charging of refrigerant could cause that condition but if the refrigerator hasn't been worked on recently that couldn't be a possibility. Lastly, an excessively frosted evaporator coil could allow liquid refrigerant to migrate back to the compressor causing frosting on the heat exchanger.

BTW. Continued use in such a condition could allow liquid refrigerant to get right back to the compressor which would damage it ($$$+). I suggest it be looked into and corrected before more extensive damage to the appliance occurs.

I disagree that lack of refrigerant can cause your symptom in a domestic refrigerator.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
          Last edited by Dan O.; 04-13-2009, 04:02 PM. Reason: Added emphasis

Comment

Working...
          X
          =