Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezer problems

I have a GE top freezer refrigerator (model tbx18jaserwh). It seems to operating well but I cannot understand why items in the freezer get freezer burn so quickly. I try to get as much air out of packages as possible but this doesn't seem to help. Even ice cubes in my ice cube trays seem to gather a buildup of ice crystals and disintegrate quickly. I've tried to adjust the temperature but that doesn't seem to help. I'm tempted to purchase another refrigerator as I'm tired of throwing away food but wanted to make sure there was not way to fix this first.
    Thanks!

Karen

I've tried to adjust the temperature
    What is the exact temperature in the freezer?

Freezer burn occurs for two main reasons; 1. Too much air flow across its surface. 2. Repeated warming and cooling. The freezer being too cold can contribute to #1.

ice cubes in my ice cube trays seem to gather a buildup of ice crystals
    Any frosting on any of the freezer's components (shelves, etc.)? Warm air leaking into the cabinet can cause frosting on surfaces. In such a case check to make sure the door is sealing properly.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Just checked the temp and it was -8! I guess it was too cold. What is the suggested temp for the freezer and refrigerator?

Comment

the temp and it was -8! I guess it was too cold.
        A tad.

What is the suggested temp for the freezer and refrigerator?
        A freezer should be ~0°F but could be set to around -2°F if you have an icemaker and need the fastest ice production. *Food* temperature (not air temperature) in the refrigerator compartment should be below 40°F to as cold as you like your drinks. Setting the controls too cold however can allow seldom used or items on the lower shelves to freeze even if most foods remain Ok.

BTW. Freezing warm to hot food will usually also cause crystals to develop on it. Let hot food cool to room temperature (or below) before wrapping and placing in the freezer.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =