X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Frige stopped cooling.

GE Refrigerator
    Model: TBX17KLG

Iside light comes on, air is blowing, but it's not cold. I removed the rear panel, vacumed out the dust bunnies. I hear a click (like a relay), I see an external fan turn on, and it sounds like the compressor is working. In about 5 secs, I hear a second click (like a relay again) and the "compressor" noise stops and the external fan starts to stop.
    How can I diagnose what is actually wrong? When I serached the internet for replacement parts, I can't anything called a compressor. Is there another name?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

go to REPAIRCLINIC dot com and find your fridge. I looked on the fourth page and found your compressor. those clicks you are hearing may be the compressor relay

Comment

In about 5 secs, I hear a second click (like a relay again) and the "compressor" noise stops and the external fan starts to stop.
      On most models the condenser fan motor should run when the fridge is calling for cooling regardless if the compressor runs or not. Are you certain the fan motor stops too?

How can I diagnose what is actually wrong?
      First will usually be confirming if it is the power *to* the compressor which is cutting out or just the compressor components stopping it.

If the compressor continues to receive power but it is cutting out on its overload protector, an ammeter would be needed to test the current draw of the compressor at that time. If the amperage was excessive, it would usually point to a bad compressor. If it was within specs, a failure of the overload and/or starting relay would usually be assumed and just replaced. There is no bench test that can be made on those components to confirm their operational status.

LINK > GE TBX17KLG Compressor Overload Protector
      LINK > GE TBX17KLG Compressor Start Relay

If the compressor circuit stops receiving power, the control system would need to be checked to see if it was responsible for loss of power to the compressor.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =