Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirpool Washer dead? My fault? Help!

Whirlpool washer Model #: LSW9700PQ0

Problem: Had hot electric smell + plastic smell. Searched web & found a site showing exactly my problem. Single white wire at overload switch can loosen, causing arcing, causing heat, melting connector cover. Exactly my situation. Soldered new connector and reattached. Vacuumed motor and blew out with air. Replaced pump at same time. Reinstalled and ran machine and motor now makes a distinct laboring whine. Worked fine before despite intermittent odors described. Hot odor back immediately and machine won't pump or spin, just whining agitation. Motor hot in 2 minutes. Inspected and noticed that some of the "ties" around the copper bundles had melted/broken away. Similarly, some of the copper bundles had discolored/burned. I'm guessing a new motor is in order? What I really want to know is why the pitch of the motor changed and the whine started instantly after I "repaired" it? Thanks gang!

Kevin

Oh, and which terminals do I jump to trick out the lid switch for testing/inspection? Thx.

Originally posted by funkykev
    noticed that some of the "ties" around the copper bundles [of the motor windings] had melted/broken away. Similarly, some of the copper bundles had discolored/burned. I'm guessing a new motor is in order?
    It sounds like it to me, yes.

LINK > Whirlpool LSW9700PQ0 Washer Motor

What I really want to know is why the pitch of the motor changed and the whine started instantly after I "repaired" it?
    I can't answer that question. Was everything reassembled correctly and no excessive force used on the motor during pump installation?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

hmmm...excessive force? Could be :-) The coupler had slight wear and slop so I wrapped some pink teflon tape around the shaft, fit the coupler(white 3-pronged plastic part) on and uh, er, gently "whacked" it on with a rubber mallet. I'm geussing I accellerated an already imminent death? If so, how so? Just curious. Thank you kindly.

Kevin

Comment

The coupler had slight wear and slop
        Than it should be replaced.

geussing I accellerated an already imminent death? If so, how [soon]?
        If the motor windings are fried, not long most likely. It could also be a fire or shock hazard to continue to use it in such a condition. Just the noise wouldn't be my biggest concern.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =