Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Side-By-Side Refrigerator

It is a stainless steel Refrigerator Side-By-Side. The make is GE. The Refrigerator is 4-5 years old. We had a leak on the low side near the compressor on 1/4 inch tubing. We installed the service valve on the low side. Now, we have fixed the leak. We vaccuumed the system and charged the system with 134A. After I charged the unit, the unit is running fine. But, the low side is building up ice. Can you please tell me when we charge the system, how many pounds should I go on the low side gauge? Is it 25 or 15 pounds?

Thank you,

Davidati
    Last edited by Davidati; 06-23-2009, 08:18 PM. Reason: Edit.

the pressure difference is 25 and about 325. the boiling point of the 134a is minus 17 degrees. you mentioned quarter inch tubing - you sure this isn't the high side? the suction line is usually 3/8 inch.

Comment

It is quarter-inch line that is attached to the compressor. It is only about 5 inches long. At the end of the tube is welded. In the middle of this tube, we installed the service valve. My question is after I charged the system, what should the low side gauge show? Should I stop at 20 pounds because i don't want to overcharge the system. I am not sure exactly how many pounds go in the system and I don't have a scale.

Thank you,

Davidati

Comment

Please if anybody knows the answer to my question I would appreciate it if you could answer as quickly as possible so I know the amount of pounds for the gauge.

Thank you,

Davidati

Comment

look on the service tag it should have the amount of refrigerant inside. that tube you connected to is called the "process tube." it is used when they initially charge the system. the suction line comes from the condenser and goes to the compressor - the high side is always a smaller diameter tube.

Comment

I just wanna know in the process of charging the system because I'm only working with the low side gauge. I'm only hooked up with the blue hose. When should I stop charging. When the needle is on 20 or 25? I think that this refrigerator worked good for 24 hours but after 24 hours, the freezer side was about 30 degrees and the refrigerator side was about 60 degrees so is it possible if it is undercharged or overcharged? When does it show it's full charges on the low side? I appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Davidati

Comment

25 psi is a good indication that the system is full. however you really need to access the high side too! make sure the gauges you are using is for 134a. the high side and low side access valves are of a different size! if the box is 30 degrees then it is cooling - the fridge side gets its cooling from the freezer. check the evaporator fan is running. the freezer should be around zero or minus 15

Comment

Alright sounds good. Thank you for the information.

Davidati

Comment

if you've added 15psi to 25psi you have overcharged your system
                  this is basically a freezer ;cooler side gets cooled through a vent no more than 5psi to 10psi should be added through the suction side ,proper way is to evac and vacuum than weigh freon into system according to name tag which is maybe 5oz

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =