Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refrigerator compresser/relay question

My 6 year old Whirlpool Gold Conquest side by side fridge, wasnt working this morning when I got up. I heard the relay or whatever it is clicking trying to start it, I unplugged the fridge to let it cool off, I removed the realy from the side of the compressor and shook it, (it has quite a noticeable rattle when shaken as if there is loose rice inside it, I tapped the side of the compressor with a pair of plyers and replaced the relay. I plugged the fridge in and it started and started to cool the fridges interior.

Stupidly I unplugged the fridge a bit later so I could roll it back in postion and it wouldnt start again.

I happened to have a universal relay around the house, (Cant remember exactly why) A little while ago I hooked it up to the compressor and it startted (after a bit of hesitation) and is running and cooling.

what does this mean? is my compressor shot or just a bad relay?

can I damage the compressor by running it with this relay?

I believe I hooked the relay up right, by following the diagram on the side of the universal one, although I am not sure that the wires are hooked to the right post.

What should I do?

Thanks so much

Bill HIggs

Clarification(s) needed

6 year old Whirlpool Gold Conquest side by side fridge
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

tapped the side of the compressor with a pair of plyers and replaced the relay.
    Do you mean you reinstalled the relay or replaced it with a new part??

I unplugged the fridge a bit later so I could roll it back in postion and it wouldnt start again.
    It wouldn't start *but was trying to* or it wasn't even trying?

is my compressor shot or just a bad relay?
    It could be either. Once running, testing its amperage draw (while using the correct compressor relay) might indicate if the compressor was bad.

can I damage the compressor by running it with this relay?
    Depending on the type of compressor used in whatever model of fridge you have, yes, it is possible. It is always best to use factory specified parts whenever possible.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

to answer your questions

I reinstalled the relay

It didn't appear to be trying, all I head was the relay clicking off and on, and when it was trying to start the interior light would grow dimmer so the compressor was definately drawing power, although there was no audible humming

its a whirlpool GS2SHAXLQ03

Thanks
      Last edited by Dan O.; 07-27-2009, 12:07 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Compressor trying to start

[The compressor] didn't appear to be trying [to start], all I head was the relay clicking off and on
        The clicking on and off from the relay would indicate the compressor IS trying to start up... but failing. The relay/overload protector or the compressor itself could be the cause of that.

can I damage the compressor by running it with this [universal] relay?
        With the compressor used on your model, yes. It uses a different functioning relay and the compressor could be damaged by using a universal relay designed for older compressor types. You can see the proper relay/overload protector for your fridge model at the following link:

LINK > Whirlpool GS2SHAXLQ03 Relay/Overload Asm.

In the mean time, do not allow the compressor to continue to click on and off or damage to the compressor can result (if it isn't already the cause).

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =