Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Side by Side-slow ice

I have a 5 yr old Kenmore side by side with a very slow icemaker. Model # 106.56612500. I've tried defrosting the freezer and turned a hair dryer on all the water lines, left if off a couple hours then turned it back on, no change. Also changed the water filter, no change. It seems to make ice just fine, no leaks, ice cubes are normal size, it is just very slow, only about 4 trays a day. I also cleaned the fridge coils and checked the freezer temp, it was 0 degrees.
    Time to replace the icemaker? I'd prefer not to replace the whole thing, but am think ing it may be the most cost efficient thing to do.
    I looked at appliance411.com and was a bit confused by the description it gave for the icemaker replacement for this model, said it would not work for "in the door" icemakers. This one does deposit ice through the door, but the icemaker is on the left side of the freezer compartment. I'm assuming that is not the same?

problem is not with the icemaker but the freezer section. have you tried decreasing the temperature of the freezer? the icemaker just feeds water into the cuber and the harvester empties the cube tray.

Comment

Yes, I lowered it to 10 below and no change, but will try it again.

Comment

Checked freezer temeprature?

slow ice
        As HayZee said, slow ice production is usually due to inadequate freezer temperature but could also be caused by packages, etc. hampering air flow across the icemaker.

The timing of the icemaker is controlled internally and only retarded by an internal thermostat. There might be a slim chance that thermostat has become out of calibration with time but would be fairly unusual but maybe not totally outside the real of possibility.

You can see the icemaker and the thermostat for your model at the following links:

LINK > 106.56612500 Replacement Icemaker Asm.

LINK > Icemaker Thermostat

I lowered it to 10 below
        Is that actually what the temperature is at? You tested it with a thermometer?

If it is, it is too cold. The freezer temperature should be between +2 to -2 (no colder than -5) degrees F. or you may run into other problems.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

No, the temp has been at 0 to 2 degrees since I have been monitoring it, about 3 wks, now and really doesn't fluctuate. I have a freezer thermometer that seems to be pretty accurate. I only considered lowering it to see if it made a difference, which it didn't.
          I have considered the thermostat might be the culprit, I couldn't imagine what else it could be. At $30 for the thermostat, and $77 for the icemaker, it makes no sense to just purchase the thermostat when I don't know for sure what is wrong, it probably would be best to replace the icemaker.
          In the last 6 hrs, only 1 tray has been dumped out and the temp is at 2 degrees right now.
          It's 101 today and while the temp inside is 78 degrees, I've had to venture outside today and sure wish I had ice for my drinks when I got home.
          Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Comment

ok, think of it this way. is the freezer freezing meats and other things solid within the freezer section? if so, then the freezer is doing its job. next to look at is air flow within the freezer box. position several freezer thermometers within the freezer chamber and monitor what the temperatures are. put one next to the ice maker. as I said before the ice maker just feeds water into the cuber where it sits waiting to freeze. after a freeze timer times out, the cuber ejects the ice harvest into its tray and refills the cuber with water. there's got to be a sensor within the cuber that detects the warmer water to start the time cycle for the fridge/cuber timer.

Comment

'Modular' Icemaker

there's got to be a sensor within the cuber that detects the warmer water to start the time cycle for the fridge/cuber timer.
              The only 'sensor' is the thermostat that retards the icemaker motor at a certain point in its cycle until it is satisfied the cubes are likely solid. At that time a harvest begins followed by a fill and then eventually the wait while the thermostat closes again.

You can read about the icemaker used on the OP's model at the following link:

LINK > Whirlpool 'Modular' Compact Crescent-Mold Icemaker

JFYI

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

thanks Dan, I wasn't really sure. I didn't go into the link to see what was there. I'm just going by what my side by side has.

Comment

Okay, I'm at a loss at this point.
                  I turned the freezer/fridge off, completely defrosted it for about 5 hrs and used the hair dryer to expedite the process. When I removed items out of the freezer section, I noted that on the left side seam of the freezer housing on the slanted surface, there was a small accumulation of ice drizzled down that had the appearance of it dripping down. I made sure that the ice was completely thawed out and all walls of the freezer compartment felt warm prior to cranking it back up. After turning it on, it appears to be making ice in a much more normal timeframe, however, I did note that the water appears to come out of the tube in the back of the freezer compartment around the perimeter of the tube instead of what you'd think gravity would make it come out at the bottom of the tube. This tube fills into the "chute" that fills the ice tray. Because of this, the water sloshes out of the tube/chute slightly and that is what I believe is causing this buildup of water in the freezer compartment.
                  Now that 24 hrs has lapsed, the ice appears to be still on cycle, and the ice cubes are whole and completely frozen. However, I can see inside a small vent that is below this chute display and can see ice drippings in there, so am supposing I am building up ice in that compartment and will be back to square one soon.
                  What could be causing this water to come out this way? Doesn't appear to be leaking between cycles that I can tell, but haven't spent alot of time with my head in the freezer since I turned it back on. I was trying to get a video of the whole water filling up so it could be easier to explain but so far haven't made it there in time.
                  Is this a water valve issue? If so, any suggestions?
                  Thanks so much.

Comment

I turned the freezer/fridge off, completely defrosted it for about 5 hrs and used the hair dryer to expedite the process.
                    The main thing that would need defrosting for cooling problems would be the evaporator (cooling) coil behind the rear panel inside the freezer. Did you remove that panel and manually defrost the coils them self?

I made sure that the ice was completely thawed out and all walls of the freezer compartment felt warm prior to cranking it back up.
                    Just removing ice from the visible surfaces would not necessarily insure the evaporator coil was clear. That coil could also take longer than 5 hours of just being turned off to fully defrost.

I believe is causing this buildup of water in the freezer compartment.
                    I don't recall you mentioning any water (probably ice) build up in your previously stated symptoms.

water appears to come out of the tube in the back of the freezer compartment around the perimeter of the tube instead of what you'd think gravity would make it come out at the bottom of the tube.
                    You mean the fill tube that goes through the rear of the cabinet to the icemaker?

If so, there may be a partial ice blockage inside it. In such a case it might need dedicated attention during defrosting as well.

JMO

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,
                      I did remove the cover from the evaporator coils and it was clear of ice, but I was also well into the process of defrosting by the time I did that.
                      The discovery of some icing in the freezer compartment was a total surprise to me, I had not noted it prior to the removal of food items in the freezer compartment.
                      And yes, I mean the fill tube at the back of the freezer wall which is located slightly above the icemaker height. The "chute" comes from this tube and fills the ice tray. At the joint of the tube and chute, the water appears to slosh out some over the walls of the chute when it comes down from the tube. Instead of coming out of the tube at the bottom of the tube, as you would think gravity would allow, it's coming out around the circumference of the tube causing some splash over when it's beginning to come down the chute (which is a half cylinder) to the tray itself.
                      Am I making this clear?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =