Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE side by side not dispensing ice

I have a GE side by side thats about 7 yrs old. It will make ice and it does dispense water as well. But, it will not dispense the ice when I hit the lever. It does dispense water when I hit the same lever. I replaced the heater core around one yr ago and that's the only repair that has been done to it. Help

GE side by side thats about 7 yrs old.
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can at least look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

will not dispense the ice when I hit the lever
    Is it making any sounds at that time?

Is it the same lever used for both water or ice or a different one for each?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

It's a 7 year old GE side by side model: GSS22WGMD, Serial: TD251935.
      The ice dispenses out of the same lever as the water does and when trying to dispense ice, it only makes a humming noise. The ice maker does produce ice with no problem and the water dispenses with no problems as well. the rest of the Fridge works fine. Any hel would be great.

Comment

activating the lever energizes the auger within the ice cube bin. you slide a lever to select ice or water. this makes up an in the door switch - one for the auger, one for the water solenoid.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand it. Are you giving me a solution to the problem or telling me how the fridge operates! Or maybe I just missed something in your explanation.

Comment

Auger motor problem?

when trying to dispense ice, it only makes a humming noise.
            That would lead me to believe the dispenser mechanism is likely doing its job leaving a problem with either the ice auger motor (see the following link) seized up or the auger mechanism or motor just physically jammed up somehow.

LINK > GE GSS22WGMD Auger Motor

On early models that auger motor could get frozen up resulting in its failure to turn when powered. GE came out with a rubber boot for it to help prevent such an occurrence. If your model doesn't already have such a boot covering the motor, it should be added.

LINK > Auger Motor Boot Kit

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I had a similar problem and had to have the trap door part replaced where the ice exits from the freezer container to the shoot that goes to the outside. Not sure if that's it but seems like its in that hard to get to area!

Comment

for door not opening only

Originally posted by angdeer

I had a similar problem and had to have the trap door part replaced where the ice exits from the freezer
                While the chute door is a possibility for malfunction or the solenoid that activates it (see the following link), it wouldn't usually cause just a humming sounds as the OP reported. I would think it would sound normal... just without dispensing ice.

LINK > GE Ice Dispenser Door Solenoid

BTW. The dispenser door solenoid on GE's newer Arctica and Eterna refrigerator models is common for rusting and seizing up, needing to be replaced.

JFYI

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Same problem

Hello, I am having the same problems with my ice maker. Seems that the handle the turns the auger is somehow loosening itself when it turns. If you take the bucket out and tighten it, it will turn for a little bit and quit turning. Still makes the humming sound and the clicking for the door to open.

Comment

the ice maker "bin" has an aluminum auger running the length of the bin. at its "far" end there are two ninety degree projections that mate with a U shaped yoke that comes off the bin auger motor. there is a selector switch in the door - ice or water. there is a common paddle switch for either water or ice. since you state the icemaker makes ice and harvests the ice into the bin, look to the motor itself or loose screws that hold the U shaped bar to the motor.

Comment

ice problem

OK seems the ice is getting jammed where it comes out and the u shape handle is either not turning or is stripped on the screw stud it is on

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =