Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Bottom Freezer clicks

I am having a problem with my 3 year old GE bottom freezer fridge. Today I noticed a clicking noise coming from the back of the fridge. It sounded like it was coming from where the board is. The compressor, at least I think that is what it is, is trying to start but it can't/won't. I unplugged it for a couple hrs to make sure that nothing else would be damaged. I plugged it back in and it still does the same.

Can I leave it plugged in or am I better off leaving it unplugged?

Thanks

leave it unplugged. the compressor may be trying to start and the current relay is clicking. any food should keep for a few days if the lid isn't opened.

Comment

You need a new start/overload relay more than likely. It plugs onto the pins from the compressor. Take the relay unit off and shake it, if it rattles it is bad. They make a replacement, solid state relay. Parts houses carry it, $ 10-25.00

Comment

I pulled the relay off. Shook it and there is no rattle. I will replace it anyways. Is there something else that I should check? What about hooking the wires coming from the relay together and seeing if the compressor kicks on to test and make sure that the relay is my problem?

Comment

Inside the start/overload part is a start capacitor to assist the compressor. It will not work without the part. You can use a voltmeter to make sure you have A/C voltage up to the circuit. A wiring diagram should be with the frig.
          Go to REPAIRCLINIC.COM and type in your model#, then you can see the parts, etc.

Comment

Ok so I believe no what I pulled off is the capacitor. They have listed a PTC relay. Is this what I'm looking for? Is the relay under the black cover on the side of the compressor or is it on the electrical board? I can't get the black cover off on the side of the compressor to check.
            Last edited by Will B.; 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM.

Comment

If the relay and capacitor are separate, it could bet either item. Try shaking the PTC relay.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =