Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenmore- Whirlpool compressor #2183472 replacement?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore- Whirlpool compressor #2183472 replacement?

</span></p> My Kenmore-Whirlpool refrigerator model #106.60267990 came with a Matsushita compressor part #2183472 and it appears that Whirlpools replacement is a Embraco part #821548.

I am just trying to find out why they replaced the Matsushita with the Embraco even though the Embracos suction line is on the opposite side of the compressor?

could be the original company has discontinued its line of compressors.

Comment

could be the original company has discontinued its line of compressors
      That is possible or the replacement could just be the type they're using in current production of that or equivalent model refrigerators. The cost of stocking the original compressor could also be prohibitive if no longer used in production.

Kenmore refrigerator came with a Matsushita compressor part #2183472
      That is only Whirlpool's part number for the original. If you got the manufacturing number off the compressor an exact (or closer at least) replacement *might* be able to be sourced from another manufacturer or directly from a Matsushita distributor rather than using Whirlpool as a middle man.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the replies I will search for the Matsushita # DA51C72RCU6.

Comment

I found a DA-51 listed at one web site Catalog # F6953 (see the link below). You could check with them whether it is the exact same model as yours as well as if they sell retail.

LINK > Coldparts, Inc.

Are you qualified to install it?

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan O. thanks for the help.
            I have the equipment except for copper line resizing tools but have never replaced a frig compressor before.

Only one man in town would talk about replacing a compressor and he wanted more than the price of a new frig.

Comment

I have the equipment
              You have a vacuum pump and refrigerant charging cylinder? Those would be unusual for anyone other than an appliance refrigeration technician to have. They're not the sort of tools usually required for automotive air conditioning service if that's where you got your equipment from.

one man in town wanted more than the price of a new frig.
              Refrigerant service on a refrigerator typically starts at around $150 and then the cost of parts of top of that. Replacing a compressor is rarely cost effective unless a very expensive or difficult to replace refrigerator model or the part itself is covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

JFYI

Dan O.

Comment

Yep pulling a vacuum and charging is the easy part.
                One thing I can find no information about is the orifice tube and the filter bulb.
                Is that always changed with the compressor?

Comment

the orifice tube is nothing more than a smaller diameter cappillary tube going into the evaporator line. this causes a pressure differential across it and changes the high pressure gas into a low pressure liquid that absorbs the heat. when it goes through the condenser the heat is given up and the liquid changes into a low pressure gas that can be compressed. the filter is usually changed with a new compressor. also, check your lubrication chart as to how much to put in - usually in ounces. - moisture free mineral oil that's meant for the type of refrigerant. the tool you are referring to for resizing the tubing is called a tube swager. (spel) it is used with a tubing flaring vise.

Comment

I can find no information about is the orifice tube and the filter bulb. Is that always changed with the compressor?
                    I don't know what you mean by "orifice tube" unless you're referring to the capillary tube of the heat exchanger. It would not be replaced but the filter drier should be, yes.

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =