Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Aid electric dryer auto dry cyle won't turn off

My apologies if this question is redundant...I've been reading forums for days now trying to figure this out.

I have a Kitchen Aid electric dryer (model KEYW777BWH2) that is approximately 12 years old. Recently noticed that the dryer is not turning off in auto dry cycle. The dial NEVER moves in auto dry cycle and the clothes actually get very hot. So there is heat; timed cycle dries and turns the dryer off. Timed cycle is not going past the "off" position and continuing.

Checked venting and all is clear. Using non flexible metal at both ends of the vent and flexible foil in between. Lint filter has been cleaned and the dryer has been vacuumed.

I've read that it might be thermostats, timer (not sure about the timer...) or the moisture sensor. Can someone point me in the right direction? It really is quite inefficient (and expensive!) to run the dryer all night!

Thanks in advance!

As strange as this sounds, the dial does *not* advance when set to "Automatic cycle"...we just tested it. If I'm not explaining something completely enough, please let me know?

Can someone point me toward a solution...or a part?

Thank you.

Comment

Moisture sensor problem

The dial NEVER moves in auto dry cycle and the clothes actually get very hot.
      On your dryer model the 'automatic' cycle is achieved using an electronic control and moisture 'sensors' (see the following link) inside the drum. The sensor or the wiring to it could be shorted or there could be a problem with the electronic control.

LINK > Dryer thermostats, safeties and sensors

With the sensor used on your model (see the following link), coins or other metal items can get jammed between the sensor contacts shorting them, resulting in the control 'thinking' clothing is still wet. Other than that the wiring from that sensor would need inspected for problems or the control itself might be suspect.

LINK > KitchenAid KEYW777BWH2 Sensor Asm.

LINK > KitchenAid KEYW777BWH2 Dryness Control Board

vent [has] flexible foil in between
      That is usually the bulk of the venting. Unless that section is really short and almost perfectly straight, it should probably be replaced with rigid metal ducting as well. Any flexible ducting is not ideal.

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Moisture sensor problem

Dan O., thank you for your response. I haven't gotten back to it quite yet, but would like to work on it again this weekend.

If it were you, would you just replace the sensor first and see if that fixes it? Also, might you be able to point me toward a wiring diagram for this dryer (Kitchen Aid model model KEYW777BWH2)?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

If it were you, would you just replace the sensor first and see if that fixes it?
          No I wouldn't and I wouldn't suggest anyone just replace parts on a whim or guess. Besides the fact that the one possibility I mentioned wouldn't even need any parts to correct!

If you're going to perform service do it right, by investigation first. Then parts... and only if if found to be necessary with some amount of certainty.

might you be able to point me toward a wiring diagram for this dryer KitchenAid model model KEYW777BWH2?
          There should have been one in the appliance when it left the factory. On recent dryers that location is most often inside the control console. I however very much doubt it will help you to solve your problem. Don't waste a lot of time looking for it.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

auto dry not advancing

I have a KGYS750cq1 that is having the same difficulty. The wiring is intact. I replaced the limit t-stat as that always seems to be the first stop on auto cycle probs. Didn't correct the problem with auto cycles still not advancing the timer. Time dry works ok.
            Is the next line of repair the moisture sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by waynek

KGYS750cq1
              I can find no listing for such a model number. The closest I found was KGYS750GQ1. Please verify it.

I replaced the limit t-stat as that always seems to be the first stop on auto cycle probs.
              The high limit thermostat or the cycling thermostat?? The high limit thermostat should have nothing to do with the operation of an automatic cycle. Did you read about Auto or Permanent Press operation at the link above about Dryer thermostats, safeties and sensors?

Is the next line of repair the moisture sensor?
              If your dryer model is indeed KGYS750GQ1, inspecting the sensor unit (both front and rear) would be top of the do-do list, yes.

BTW. Dryer model KGYS750GQ1 uses the same sensor setup as the OP's dryer.

JFYI

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
              Last edited by Dan O.; 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

G is correct though it is a very subtle one that needs good light to see
                I replaced the t-stat in the vent channel that reads exhaust temp
                The sensor looks ok from in the drum though I imagine it could still be bad

Comment

Looks can be deceiving

The sensor looks ok from in the drum though I imagine it could still be bad
                  Please read my comment in my first reply above about the sensor possibly being shorted.

BTW. There is little that can actually go wrong with that design of sensor (it's just two metal strips in a plastic housing). And when it did it wouldn't look any different just by peering inside the drum.

JFYI

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =