Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another Whirlpool (direct drive) won't spin

Let me start with saying that this site is a great resource for appliance repair info... I've learned a lot about how washing machines, and more specifically Whirlpool direct drive machines, operate just from reading for the past half hour.

I have a Whirlpool GST9679PW2. I purchased it new less than five years ago. Since then I've only had one problem, shortly after purchase, related to the plastic water dispenser leaking.

So my current problem:

The agitator won't spin at any point in a wash cycle. I can hear and have visually verified that the motor is spinning. And in "spin" mode the pump is evacuating water from the machine. I've read that motor/gearbox couplers often fail but am not convinced there's not a brake, clutch, or gearbox problem. I say this because in the past I've been able to easily spin the agitator by hand (to spread liquid soap, etc.) However, it is now EXTREMELY difficult to move by hand; to the point that I don't want to break something else while trying.

The machine broke late last night so I haven't had time to tear into it but am planning on getting started after work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    James

Help, please...

Ok. I just pulled the motor and discovered that the coupler is, in fact, broken.

I can spin the input to the gearbox by hand. If I spin it counter-clockwise, the agitator spins one direction for a bit and then switches to the other direction. If I spin it clockwise the agitator moves some but then becomes too difficult to move by hand. I think I read that one direction drives the agitator and the other direction drives the tub. Is the weight of the tub too much to move by hand? I would think that the gearbox should reduce it enough to be easy to move either way.

FYI, My wife only had a medium load of jeans at the time of failure but just prior to that load were two queen blankets. Could the weight of the blankets have been too much and stressed the coupler... leading to failure on the following load?

So what should I do? Just order a coupler and see what happens? Is it likely that this item just failed and is my only problem?

Comment

Could the weight of the blankets have been too much and stressed the coupler.
      Yes, or even just normal wear and tear.

Is it likely that this item just failed and is my only problem?
      Very possible.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the info Dan O.

Just installed a new coupler but the machine still doesn't work; now just a humming noise from the motor because something is frozen in the drive line (the motor no longer spins.)

So what now? What's the most probable point of failure (after a coupler problem); gearbox, brakes, clutch???

Like I said, I USED to be able to spin the upper and lower agitator by hand in one direction and then only the upper agitator in the other direction. Now the agitator cannot be spun by hand.

I guess my only option is to start removing components from the gearbox up and see what I find...
        Last edited by TXjames; 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working... for now

The machine is working!

Prior to disassembly I verified that the input to the gearbox was, indeed, frozen in the clockwise direction (tub spin) and free in the CCW direction (agitator spin).

Once the gearbox was out, I was able to spin the input in both directions and see the output shaft and clutch housing spin accordingly... gearbox working properly.

I then drove the other half of the clutch (still mounted to the brake assembly, drive tube, and tub.) It released the brakes and spun the tub freely. ???seriously scratch head???

After staring at it and playing with all the components for the better part of an hour I decided nothing was broken, put it all back together, and VOILA! Machine operates through all cycles! ???continue seriously scratching head???

So what could have caused my drive train to bind up? The only suspicious element I noticed was that when the gearbox was removed and the brakes unlocked, the tub fell because the gearbox wasn't there to support it. At that point I observed that one brake pad hung partially below the brake drum and the other didn't stick out at all. Hmmm... maybe a problem, maybe not. Or maybe my gearbox is on the way out??? Anyone with ideas/experience?

One other question:
          During the spin cycle, once all the water has drained out, the tub becomes imbalanced; not wildly out of control but has a rhythmic "hit" every few revolutions. Is this normal? I don't think my spring perches are cracked or bolts missing but I'll check to be sure.

I feel a bit like I'm talking to myself but perhaps someone with experience will chime in and maybe this will benefit others in the future.
          - James

Comment

Working...
          X
          =