Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher drain lines.

How far can a dishwasher be from the disposal (drain line)?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Make? Model

I don't recall any specific requirements but check the unit's installation instructions. It would likely depend on the design of the dishwasher in question.

I wouldn't think the dishwasher would pump too much further than the factory drain hose length and certainly not if you were planning on it being in any way vertical.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan, that kinda brings me to my next question, why do they want the line going up to an air gap then down to the disposal ? Why not just straight to the disposal ?

Comment

Pushkins - I think it has to do with the drain line placement - if the line is even with or slightly lower than the tub bottom, water drains by gravity to the waste line. with an air gap or U in the line there's no siphon created.

Comment

That makes sense but with a dishwasher the drain line will never be lower than the garbage disposal (where the dishwasher drain connects) or the drain line if there is no dishwasher.

Comment

why do they want the line going up to an air gap then down to the disposal
            The air gap is to prevent waste water from migrating back into the dishwasher. That could be a health concern and its use mandated under area building codes. The height is to prevent siphoning (see the following link).

LINK > My washer doesn't seem to be able to hold water. What's the problem?

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for that, it all makes sense now.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =