Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water filter for Kitchenaid fridge?

We purchased a Kitchen Aid side by side refridgerator 5 years ago and I always wanted the ice and water dispenser.

We also have a reverse osmosis water filter under the sink. I had an additional line run into the intake water for the fridge. At first it was great and then over the next few months I noticed a strange taste in the water of the fridge...almost cheesy, but I could not identify the problem. We called the company and a service technician came out to look. First he showed me where the fridge stores the water before it comes out of the outlet and it is simply a clear plastic tubing that is wrapped up and hidden behind the crispers. He said that I should run a litre of water each time before taking drinking water. He also showed me the bottom of the fridge and took the cover off the bottom. The cooling element which I normally thought was in the back was in front now and completely covered in pet fur. He said that would have to be vacuumed frequently as it hinders the energy efficiency of the fridge.
    I might vacuum down there 2 or 3 times a year which is probably not enough. In any case the ice tastes fine, so we stopped using the water from the fridge and simply used it for ice and then got the water from the reverse osmosis tap at the sink.

This fridge has it's own filter as well and I figured it would never need replacing as the water going into it was as pure as you could get with nothing in it basically to filter. The fridge also has an indicator to tell you when the filter needs replacing which must run on some kind of timer without any knowledge if the filter actually needs changing or not as it turned red within the first 6 - 8 months we owned the fridge.

I changed it once but thought if it is indeed running on a timer of some kind it really is not necessary to ever change it.

The question I have is this..... I am noticing a strange taste again with the water and have figured it to be the ice cubes. Could the filter be breaking down over time and be causing the strange after taste?
    Also wondered if there is a way to bypass having to have a filter at all on the fridge? Seems dumb to have to pay $60.00 every 6 mionths to change something which primarily is doing nothing, don't you think?

why even have a water filter unless something is drastically wrong with your water. do you draw water from a well? is it city water? do you know that a reverse osmosis water filter needs to be cleaned? in a reverse osmosis filter, water is mixed with a "flock" additive which acts like diatomasious earth trapping particles in the filter's pores. some but not all osmosis filters need an acid to strip off the flock and trapped particles.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      why even have a water filter unless something is drastically wrong with your water. do you draw water from a well? is it city water? do you know that a reverse osmosis water filter needs to be cleaned? in a reverse osmosis filter, water is mixed with a "flock" additive which acts like diatomasious earth trapping particles in the filter's pores. some but not all osmosis filters need an acid to strip off the flock and trapped particles.

I have had the reverse osmosis for over 15 years and absolutley favour the taste of the water over straight tap city water. We also have a water softener so I would prefer to have salt residue removed as well

Comment

Water AND/OR ice??

We also have a reverse osmosis water filter under the sink. I had an additional line run into the intake water for the fridge.
        Do you have the refrigerator water supply being filtered by the RO filter?

He said that I should run a litre of water each time before taking drinking water.
        Each time? That's ridiculous.

The fridge also has an indicator to tell you when the filter needs replacing which must run on some kind of timer without any knowledge if the filter actually needs changing
        Depending of the design of whatever model of KitchenAid refrigerator you have, it could be calculated based on time plus water usage.

I noticed a strange taste in the water of the fridge...almost cheesy... In any case the ice tastes fine.

I am noticing a strange taste again with the water and have figured it to be the ice cubes.
        Those seem to be contradictory statements. Please clarify the complaint.

I changed it once
        Did the taste of the water change afterward?

Could the filter be breaking down over time and be causing the strange after taste?
        I'm sure it is possible.

Also wondered if there is a way to bypass having to have a filter at all [in] the fridge?
        Possibly but it is impossible for us to tell without the appliance's complete model number.

Forum Notice LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

The [condenser coil] which I normally thought was in the back was in front now and completely covered in pet fur. He said that would have to be vacuumed frequently as it hinders the energy efficiency of the fridge.
        Regular cleaning is very necessary to prevent excessive energy consumption of the appliance and possibly shortened lifespan of some of its components.

I might vacuum down there 2 or 3 times a year which is probably not enough.
        Just vacuuming is rarely enough. There are long handled, stiff-bristle brushes made for cleaning them. With pets in the house, it might need to be *thoroughly* cleaned on a monthly basis.

LINK > Condenser Brush

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 03-08-2010, 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hey am from toronto, i bought a fridge and i dont know how to be sure to get the right filter for my fridge. can anyone help me please.

Comment

Look it up?

i dont know how to be sure to get the right filter for my fridge
            Either get the replacement filter number from the owner's manual (if listed there), get the numbers off the original filter or look up its part number using the model number of the refrigerator as any other part would have to be.

You can read about how to go about getting replacement parts for your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Appliance411 Tutorial: Appliance Repair Parts

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Bypass

The original question asked about a possible bypass to replace the filter. I also have a KitchenAid side-by-side (KSSC42QVS02), a water source with reverse osmosis filtering, and would like to remove the fridge's filter and bypass it. Is such a part available? Or is there another trick to bypass the filter.

Comment

I'm not sure how exotic your installation is, but I'm thinking along the lines of a self tapping saddle valve on your cold water line. If this be the case simply remove the tubing feeding your filter and place a new length of copper tubing from the saddle valve to the fridge input water. use 3/8 inch compression fittings.

Comment

Check with Whirlpool

Originally posted by MikeR

I have a KitchenAid side-by-side [model] KSSC42QVS02, a water source with reverse osmosis filtering, and would like to remove the fridge's filter and bypass it. Is such a part available? Or is there another trick to bypass the filter.
                  I'm sorry but I don't know if there is a bypass for the filter design used on your model. You might have to contact Whirlpool to ask.

If you get an answer from Whirlpool let is know for future reference.

BTW. If you connect the fridge's water supply to a RO system, be sure to use plastic tubing to the fridge instead or the usually recommended copper tubing. The RO water will react with the copper tubing usually resulting in odd tasting water.

Dan O.
                  Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =