Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator only cooling to 40 degrees

My refrigerator will only cool to 40 degrees when set on the coldest setting. I have had the cold control (thermostat) replaced and there is no ice build-up on the coils. To me it seems as though the unit does not run long enough. It cycles on and off but only runs for a few minutes at a time and then shuts off again. There doesn't seem to be many options to be bad and cause this so I was wondering if you would replace the cold control again, replace the defrost timer or ..... I am under warranty with the Geek Squad, however since they already came once and it isn't fixed (I called them for this very same reason) thought I would check here to so that i might "suggest" a fix. My buddy has one and it cools down much lower (even freezes his veggies if he sets it too low)

The unit is 3 months old.
    The vents at the top and bottom are not blocked
    The fan is running
    Model Frigidaire All Refrigerator FPRH17D7KF1

the thermostat is just a switch so I would jumper out the stat just to see how cold or how long the compressor would run and how cold the box will get after about 6 hrs. if the box gets brrrr cold then I would look to the stat again. being under warranty the company should cover parts and labor.

Comment

Originally posted by petman
      Frigidaire all-refrigerator model FPRH17D7KF1 will only cool to 40 degrees when set on the coldest setting. I have had the cold control (thermostat) replaced and there is no ice build-up on the coils.
      The evaporator coil should "frost" (not ice) across its whole surface while in operation. What kind of frost pattern (see the following link) is on it?

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

To me it seems as though the unit does not run long enough. It cycles on and off but only runs for a few minutes at a time and then shuts off again.
      Do the fans stop running at that time as well or just the compressor?

The fans and compressor should run together if being controlled by the thermostat like they should be. If it was the problem all those components would all stop together.

I am under warranty with the Geek Squad
      I have no idea what the Geek Squad is but if you had service previously and was not corrected, they should be called back to look into it.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The Geek Squad is the Best Buy extended warranty guys. They came out again and we replaced the defrost timer and the defrost limit thermostat. So far then we have replaced the thermostat, defrost timer and limit thermostat.

The fan inside the refrigerator is running when the fridge is running. The fan on the exterior is also running when the compressor is on. I guess now I will check the frost pattern, however the frige doesn't seem to run long enough at any point in time to have frost but I will remove the back cover and check. If it isn't frosting then I am assuming it is low refrigerant or something like that?

Also, as for "jumping the stat" would this just be running a jumper wire between the two wires that come out of the stat? I can do that as well and see if it frosts up. Just seems that it turns off after 5 minutes of run time which just doesn't really seem long enough to cool it down.

Tech said a refrigerator shouldn't get much colder than 40 but I told him that the frige is mid 40s at times which I believe is unsafe and that I should be able to keep it at 32 degrees if I wanted to. He said that was freezing and I said fine, 33.

Time to get a new tech? Remember this is a refrigerator only unit, no freezer is involved.
        Last edited by petman; 06-26-2010, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Compressor

The fan inside the refrigerator is running when the fridge is running.
          You mean the fan is running when the compressor of the fridge is running?

Do the fan(s) and compressor shut off together... every time?

The unit is 3 months old. The Geek Squad is the Best Buy extended warranty guys.
          If the appliance is less than one year old should be under the manufacturer's warranty not an extended warranty. In that case any Frigidaire authorized service depot should be able to perform the service on it. Maybe look for a different service company in your area? (see the following link)

LINK > Frigidaire Service Locator

BTW. I'd suggest a local servicer rather than a company at some 800... number, if available.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X
          =