Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing machine making too much noise

I have a GE W/M that is maybe 6-8 yrs old. On the spin cycle it makes a louder noise than before, sounds like a bearing or transmission noise. It is OK on the wash cycle. It also emits an odor of Diesel oil or gasoline at the end of the cycle. I have bought a new machine but want to give this one to my daughter; however, I want to fix it first. It still washes clothes just the same as before. I have replaced parts on washers and dryers in the past and don't fear taking this one apart but wanted to get some advice first. any idea what might be wrong? Transmission, bearing?All cycles work and motor is strong. No burned wiring smell. Pump works fine. However, if drain hose is laid on ground, all the water will drain from the tub. Is this normal? Any help is appreciated.

Model number?

GE W/M that is maybe 6-8 yrs old.
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can at least look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

Forum Notice LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The model no is GE WLSE 4210AOWW, sn is AA11106G

Comment

Transmission bearing problem

GE [washer model] WLSE4210A0WW
        That is one of GE's newer washer designs. On that design a howling sound during spin is usually caused by bad bearings in the transmission requiring the whole transmission to be replaced. Evidence of leaking onto the transmission is the most likely cause of the bearing failure. A new tub seal comes with the replacement transmission which will also need to be installed.

You can see the transmission for that model and some general repair instructions at the following links:

LINK > GE WLSE4210A0WW Washer Transmission

LINK > New-Style GE Washer (plastic tub)

It also emits an odor of Diesel oil or gasoline at the end of the cycle.
        You would have to try to determine the actual origin of the odor. The belt, motor, clutch or transmission all might be possibilities.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
        Last edited by Dan O.; 06-23-2010, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dan O for your info.

Should I take the WM apart and ck the trany and find the source of the smell before I order parts. Is that what you would do? If the motor is the source of smell, junk the WM since cost of motor and trany is too high. If belt, rpl. If trany rpl trany. It will be nice if it is only the belt or trany and not the motor.

Comment

Dan O; Have disassembled the GE W/M and found oil in the bottom of the cabinet and on the pulley of the trany. Motor and belt are fine w/belt showing a little wear. Had to cut off the tub nut with a chisel. Spin brake surface was oily and definitely not clean. Trany was leaking oil. Smell must be coming from trany oil. Need to order trany, tub nut and seal in bottom of tub. The spin brake surface was a separate piece like a gasket. Should I order this also. Trany had green barcode. Is there anything else I should look for to replace since I have the WM completely disassembled?

Comment

Dan O; Parts will probably cost in the $200 area w/shipping. Should I even repair this WM or just buy my daughter a new one. Also, there appears to be water inside the plastic top that goes around the tub. I would think this would be hollow. Water could be forced in during the spin cycle. Doesn't appear to be any way to take plastic top apart. Thinking about drilling small holes to drain water then caulking them.

Comment

Trany was leaking oil. Smell must be coming from trany oil.
                Very possible.

Need to order trany, tub nut and seal in bottom of tub.
                The seal comes with the replacement transmission. The nut is linked below.

LINK > GE WLSE4210A0WW Washer Hub Nut

The spin brake surface was a separate piece like a gasket. Should I order this also.
                AFAIK it should be part of the transmission assembly. It is not listed in the parts list so I don't even know if it can be ordered separately.

LINK > GE WLSE4210A0WW Washer Exploded Parts View

Is there anything else I should to replace since I have it completely disassembled?
                Not that I can think of.

there appears to be water inside the plastic top that goes around the tub. I would think this would be hollow. Water could be forced in during the spin cycle.
                Yes, to balance the tub during spin. That is how it was designed.

Thinking about drilling small holes to drain water then caulking them.
                Don't even think about it!

Should I even repair this WM or just buy my daughter a new one.
                That will be up to you to decide.

JMO

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

W/M repair

Dan O; Thanks for you great help and the two websites you posted for me. I ordered the transmission and installed it. W/M is running fine with no traces of the loud noise and odor. Thanks again.

Comment

I ordered the transmission and installed it. W/M is running fine
                    Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =