Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fridge/Freezer Compressor not working..Help please!!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge/Freezer Compressor not working..Help please!!

We have a side by side out in garage. One of kids left freezer door open all night long. 2 days later...fridge and freezer won't cool at all. Both fans sound and look to be running, but compressor is not running at all. The compressor is cool to the touch. Took off cover to device attached to compressor, and no wires or connections look to be burned. Can someone please assist me with what might be the problem? I'm hoping low cost to salvage the fridge/freezer side by side. Thanks for any help.

Make? Model number??

We have a side by side out in garage
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its brand name and exact model number. If you post it we can at least look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

Forum Notice LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

compressor is not running at all. The compressor is cool to the touch. Took off cover to device attached to compressor, and no wires or connections look to be burned.
    Is there power coming to the compressor when it should be operating (ie. when the fans are running)? That should tell whether the problem is at the compressor or elsewhere in the appliance.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Is there power coming to the compressor when it should be operating (ie. when the fans are running)? That should tell whether the problem is at the compressor or elsewhere in the appliance.
      Hi Dan... thanks for replying. The Brand is a GE Model #GSS25WGMB. As for power getting to the compressor, I'm not 100% positive. While the fans are running, I turned the thermostate knobs to "0", and then turn them back up. When I do this, I here something like a switch clicking in back. Is there an easy way to tell if power is getting to the compressor? Everything else on the fridge has power and seems to working also. Thanks, and let me know your thoughts.

Brandon
      Last edited by Dan O.; 06-23-2010, 09:53 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Is there an easy way to tell if power is getting to the compressor?
        Measure it with a volt meter. Some sort of test light might also be able to be used. That will be up to whomever is performing the service.

GE Model #GSS25WGMB
        That is one of GE's electronically controlled models. If no power is getting to the compressor, the 'mother board' (main control circuit board) on the back of the fridge could be inspected for visual signs of damage. Any damage (burning, arcing, etc.) would be a pretty good sign of it being defective.

LINK > GE GSS25WGMB Mother Board

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O.

If no power is getting to the compressor, the 'mother board' (main control circuit board) on the back of the fridge could be inspected for visual signs of damage. Any damage (burning, arcing, etc.) would be a pretty good sign of it being defective.
          Dan...I got a volt meter, and there is no power going to the compressor. There is a black, orange, and white wire coming from the compressor. None of them is showing any positive signs of power. The white and orange wires lead to a seperate small box connected to the botton of the fridge. The black leads to a connector, and then up into the fridge somewhere. I checked the mother board, and the does not appear to be any signs of burning or arcing.

Since no power is getting to the compressor, my hopes are that I can have it repaired without spending an arm/leg. Please let me know your thoughts on whow to proceed. Thanks.

Brandon
          Last edited by Dan O.; 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

there is no power going to the compressor.
            There is no power at the compressor when the fans are running? (Both fans and compressor should run together.)

Since no power is getting to the compressor, my hopes are that I can have it repaired without spending an arm/leg.
            I don't know about that but at least it isn't the most expensive thing to replace, the compressor. If it is the main control board, it will still be several hundred dollars to have replaced. The board itself is ~$135 as seen at the link previously provided above.

Please let me know your thoughts on how to proceed.
            Unless you can determine with some certainty what part might be responsible, you might have to call someone in to find out for you.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =