Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas cooktop off a BBQ tank

for several years our country house was heated with propane.
    During that time we rented 2 huge propane tanks from the local supplier.
    We recently removed the gas heating and so the only propane use that remains is a gas cooktop. SInce we only use the place for about 10 days a month, the propane use has gone from significant to tiny.
    The propane supplier removed their rental tanks (saying we weren't using enough propane for it to make sense - they are correct.)

we now need an alternate propane supply.
    given how little we use (maybe boiling a pot of water each day) I would like to just use a regular refillable BBQ propane tank.

I've rigged one up with appropriate adaptors. but it is about...100feet from the actual propane cook top.

on my first test, the burners lit - reluctantly it seems. turning everything off and trying again, it doesn't light at all. (it was working perfectly before the large tanks were removed.)
    I can smell and hear the propane but it doesn't light - either with the clicker or a match.

Is there any reason this should NOT work?
    different pressure?
    too long a distance?

Check with propane supplier

it doesn't light at all. I can smell and hear the propane but it doesn't light - either with the clicker or a match.
    Than I can only think that the gas must be escaping from other than the burner. The only other possibility I can think of is that it is not gas that is coming out where you're trying to light it, maybe just air instead? I don't know how to account for whatever smell you're noticing though.

gas cooktop off a BBQ tank. Is there any reason this should NOT work?
    Gas appliances require propane to be pressurized from 11 to 14 inches water column (as measured by a manometer).

different pressure? too long a distance? (it is about 100 feet)
    Either might be a possibility. Check with a propane supplier or licensed gas fitter to see what pressure a BBQ tank is normally and how long of piping would allow that pressure to reach the appliance. I don't know either of those. Sorry

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

for a long run use 3/4 black pipe then when you reach the appliance go back to 3/8 soft copper and flare fittings. use the regulator at the feed point not the use point.

Comment

Or buy a 100lb tank Lowe's/HD cost $130) and install it near the appliance, outside obviously.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =