Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Side by Side Refrig won't turn on

My brother just bought his first house & need a fridge. He found a nice one on Craigslist from a couple who'd just upgraded their kitchen to Stainless appliances. The fridge was already disconnected and in the garage when we looked at it, which in hindsight wasn't a good idea to buy, but this was a nice middle-aged couple so I highly doubt they knew there was a problem with it, and I'm thinking maybe something happened while we were transporting it.

So, we get it home & the next day my brother & and his friend move it into the kitchen. They plug it in and there's a 'burning electric smell', so they unplugged it and looked for any sign of fire or smoke. After not finding anything and waiting a few minutes, they plugged it back in and everything works (lights, ice crusher, relay for door water, etc.) except the actual refridgerator unit.

What should we check first? It's a Whirlpool Side-By-Side
    • model- ED5VHGXMQ00
    • serial- SP3556399
    • manufactured- 08 / 2003

they plugged it back in and everything works except the actual refridgerator unit.
    You mean the compressor at that rear??

If so, are the fan(s) running?

What should we check first?
    If the fan(s) ARE running but the compressor is NOT, someone would need to ensure power is getting to the compressor. It should be powered whenever the fans are running.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan O. my brother lucked out and a guy who used to work with him does maintenance for a local 711 type chain. He told my brother which parts to try & hope it wasn't the compressor b/c the cost of the compressor and installation was about what a new one cost!

Luckily it turned out to be that part that plugs into the side of the compressor. I think it's like a switch that turns the compressor on. At any rate it's fixed now, and thanks again for your reply!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =