Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help, Newbie with Ice maker problem

Hi guys, I'm helping my mom fix her ice maker in her fridge. It just stopped making ice. I wanted to know what I should be looking for since this is my first time messing with it. It is for a kitchenaid fridge. The model number is: KSRG25FKWH01

It was made in 2001. What usually is the problem with these ice makers? Any advice would be appreciated before I go over to her house tomorrow to help her with it. Thanks so much, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by amodoko; 07-11-2010, 02:27 AM.

is water being released into the ice maker? Is the bail wire free to move? do the harvester fingers move? check out www dot repairclinic dot com for parts.

Comment

Sorry for the long delay, I ended up going to my parents house and didn't have much time to look at the ice machine. I've only been able to do one test. All I did was put water in the ice maker tray. Then when I came back a few days later, the ice was frozen but didn't come out of the tray. Then when I came back a week later, the ice was gone. So I did the same test again, and when I came back the next day,the ice was gone again. I had noticed that water does leak sometimes at the back of the freezer, from the inside if I put water in the tray. So there could be a leak, and the motor could be messed up too (since that one time the ice froze but didn't move out of the tray).

What do you think I should do next? Sorry for the long delay, I don't get to go to my parents' house much and it takes me a while to run the tests. Thanks for your time

Comment

Just not filling??

Then when I came back a week later, the ice was gone. So I did the same test again, and when I came back the next day,the ice was gone again.
        When you say "gone" you mean dumped out of the icemaker right?

Is so, than that should mean the icemaker is at least capable of working but might just be not filling. On most icemaker the water fill tube leading to the icemaker can freeze closed. Someone might need to try to confirm if that might be their problem and then figure out what needs to be done to correct it.

You can read about testing the icemaker design used on that model at the following link:

LINK > Whirlpool 'Modular' Compact Crescent-Mold Icemaker

the ice was frozen but didn't come out of the tray.
        I can't explain that except if maybe the freezer just wasn't cold enough (it should be between +5 and -5°F for best ice production) and the icemaker just stopped functioning because of that higher temperature until it decreased again?

Has anyone checked and/or thoroughly cleaned the fridge's condenser recently? That could be responsible for warmer than usual temperatures inside the appliance.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll try and mess with it with the advice given. Oh, and to clarify, when I say the "ice was gone," I meant it didn't dump out. It was as if the ice melted and evaporated, or it just melted and dripped out somewhere. It was weird, my parents said they did not touch it, so I'm assuming maybe the ice melted and it leaked out somewhere.

I don't know if it has to do with water delivery, since it's not making ice even though I filled the ice tray up with water and have not gotten delivery of ice yet. Tried this 3 times now, lol

Comment

when I say the "ice was gone," I meant it didn't dump out. It was as if the ice melted and evaporated, or it just melted and dripped out somewhere.
            If water had leaked out of the icemaker there should be a pool in the bottom of the freezer section somewhere. There's usually no where else for it to go.

I guess the icemaker's mold heater might be staying on too long and have evaporated the water in the mold but that would be very unusual and would also likely cause too warm or erratic freezer temperatures and excessive compressor run time. I'm never come across a case of the icemaker mold heater staying on myself.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =