Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchenaid Gas Dryer.. help

we have KGYS750GQ0 model and it has stopped heating, the machine seems to work as normal but no heat.,

If I look in the peep whole at the front I can see it glowing orange every minute or so but nothing, should this ignite something.

If working normally would I see anything in that peep whole.

Is it not igniting?

If I try and start the machine maybe one in ten time it may start to heat up but only for about 30-40 seconds then goes cold.

We have someone coming to look at it and do not want to get ripped off buy saying it needs a load of things changed, from what I can find on the net maybe the solinoid coils on the gas value

Anyone have any ideas, thanks

If I look in the peep whole at the front I can see it glowing orange every minute or so but nothing, should this ignite something.
    Yes. As power to the ignitor (the glowing you see) shuts off, gas should be released to where the still glowing hot ignitor ignites it.

It sounds like no gas is being released in which case the solenoid coils (see the following link) on the gas valve have most likely failed and probably need to be replaced.

LINK > Gas Dryer Burner Valve Solenoid Coil Set

It is a common failure point on all makes of gas dryers. Each of the different brands use basically the same gas burner and ignition systems.

If I try and start the machine maybe one in ten time it may start to heat up
    Those solenoid coils can be intermittent which can make them more difficult to pinpoint as the actual cause.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 09-04-2010, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, the guy has just been he had some coils with him but he said it was not that. He has taken away the whole burner assembly and said it needs to be sent away for a rebuild. He did detach the fragile burner thing and left that with the dryer.

The main belt was also worn but he said the dryer is in very good shape and should give a few years service.

Not sure if they replace parts or simply clean it all out.

Does this sound like a good idea, it's going to be all in with labour, call out and tax about $350.

Bear in mind this dryer was in the house when we got it so we didnt actually buy it. For a machine that 11 years old I thought that was not too bad. He said for the condition better to fix than replace.

Comment

he said it was not [the coils]. He has taken away the whole burner assembly and said it needs to be sent away for a rebuild.
        The same symptom could be caused by a problem in the gas valve itself which would either need to be replaced or repaired. If he actually tried the coils and they did not solve the problem than the gas valve itself would be suspect. It is just a lot less common than the coils being responsible.

The main belt was also worn but he said the dryer is in very good shape and should give a few years service.
        It's quite possible. There isn't a lot that goes wrong with dryer if properly maintained. Older dryer also seem to be built better than many of the models being sold these days.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =