Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Gold gas dryer?

I have a WHirlpool gold gas dryer model# GGW9878PW1. Here is the problem. The vent tube was glogged and the dryer was not heating up. I problem solved the dryer and all the thermal fuses and sensors were fine. Except the Internal-Bias thermistor. I replaced this part and the dryer still is not getting hot. When I turn the dryer on the igniter glows and the gas lites and the dryer heats up. It then cycles a couple times with the ignitor working and lighting the gas. But after the first couple of times the ignitor lights up but never ignites the gas. I am at a lost now as i have testd all the sensors and they check out ok. Any ideas??

Clarification needed

after the first couple of times the ignitor lights up but never ignites the gas.
    Is there gas being released by the valve *at that time* to be ignited? Of course, NO gas = NO ignition.

Does the ignitor continue to cycle on and off *at the time of failure* or does it stay glowing?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Well it does light the first couple of time it cycles. But then the ignitet glows and it doesn't light. So I think there is no gas being turned on after the initial two cycles. Does that make since?

Comment

Ok I watched the dryer to see what it does exactly. The first cycle the glow plug comes on and lights the gas and the gas stays lit for about 2 minutes. The second cycle the glow plug comes on and lights the gas and the gas stays lit for about 45 seconds. The third cycle the glow plug comes on and the gas lights and stays lit for about 20 seconds. The forth cycle ther glow plug comes on and lights the gas and stays lit for 20 seconds. The fifth cycle the glow plug lights the gas and stays on for 20 seconds. The sixth cycle the glow plug comes on and does not light the gas. After the sixth cycle the gas does not light any more. If I stop the dryer and let it sit a little the whole cycle will start again and stop heating after the first 6 cycles. Hope that help with a possible problem????

Comment

The sixth cycle the glow plug comes on and does not light the gas.
          I repeat: Does the ignitor continue to cycle on and off *at the time of failure* or does it stay glowing?

If the ignitor does cycle on and off like it is suppose to but gas is just not being released by the gas valve that is the problem, it is very possible the solenoid coils (see the following link) on the gas valve are intermittent and likely need to be replaced. They are notorious for working once or twice but then failing after heating up with use.

LINK > Whirlpool GGW9878PW1 Gas Valve Solenoid Set

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Sorry. Yes the ingniter is turning on and off as it is suppose to. Like you said the gas is not being released after the igniter is glowing. Is there a way to test the solenoids? Or are they just something you replace and hope it is the fix?

Comment

Is there a way to test the solenoids?
              They could be tested for continuity (see the following link) but it would have to be done right when the problem is occurring. Giving them a chance to cool might not reveal the intermittent failure.

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks Dan O. I ordered and installed the parts and the dryer is now working again. I appreciate your help as I was scratching my head and not figuring it out. My wife thanks you very much.

Comment

Fixed

Originally posted by rbutcher
                  I ordered and installed the parts and the dryer is now working again.
                  Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =