Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Dryer Problem Solution

Replaced the cutoff thermal fuse on the side of heating element chamber and did not replace the thermostat on the chamber. Both parts came in the same package but it ran with just the fuse changed so I thought it would be ok. Well it ran for about 15 minutes then burnt out the fuse again. This time I changed both the thermal fuse and the thermostat and it ran just fine. Moral of the story is if you change the thermal cutoff then change the thermostat because the thermal cutoff went bad due to the thermostat being bad. A $35.00 lesson in appliance repair. I guess if you get both parts in the bag then put both parts in.

This was on model 110.66902690 Kenmore.

Check dryer venting!

the thermal cutoff went bad due to the thermostat being bad
    I doubt that. The thermostat there is only a safety device and is not normally ever used. It being defective shouldn't cause the thermal fuse to blow but you should still replace ALL parts supplied in any replacement 'kit'.

IF the thermal fuse or cutout has failed on ANY dryer, a *thorough* inspection (see the following link) and cleaning of the dryer vent *all the way from the dryer to the outdoors* should be done. A thermal fuse opening is usually a warning sign of a potential fire hazard!

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 09-23-2010, 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

a fuse is used in any device as a safety feature. it is designed and rated to open at a certain amount of amps to protect the circuit. amps equal power [in watts] divided by volts.

Comment

I don't know that a thermal fuse failure is dependent on amperage. At least I've never seen an amperage rating on one, just its temperature rating.

JMO

Dan O.

Comment

a "klixon" device is a bi-metallic thermal fuse. it opens on a predetermined temperature using a bi-metallic element and contacts and resets upon cooling. a standard "fuse" opens on high amps or overload and doesn't reset.

Comment

a "klixon" device is a bi-metallic thermal fuse.
            Klixon is the brand name of bi-metallic overload protector. It will react to both temperature increase as well as amperage draw.

That style of thermal protector however is not used on any dryer I've seen other than inside the motor itself. The thermal fuses used on dryers react to heat only.

JFYI

Dan O.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =