Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Profile frig no water

Model Number PFSS5NJW/PSFS5NJW.

Top frig. No ice on door. Water will not work. Replaced valve. Not frozen. Have 5 kids that are hard on things and suspect the water switch is busted - the paddle feels flimsy. But, having a hard time finding the part for the switch.

Also, does the front cover for the electronic controls 'snap' off the front? Or is it screwed in from the back? This will need to be removed if the switch needs to be replaced... (I would think)

Thanks....

I'm not having any luck pulling up ether of those model numbers, so I haven't seen a diagram yet, but you are probably on the right track with the dispenser being the problem. The switch is probably okay; however, the plastic actuator arm that should close the switch may be broken. If you could double check that model number I could be more specific, but usually the cover comes off from the front. if you don't see any screws under the drip tray you may need to use a putty knife under the bottom front lip of the dispenser to release two tabs that hold the dispenser cover on. once thats off you will probably be able to see the cause of your problem.

Comment

part number for GE parts site

When I search GE parts I get this number coming up: PFSS5NJWASS. The door diagram looks just like our refrig. but the part number I gave was from the inside wall of the refrig. on the right side seems to be correct.

Seems like that electronic cover (93 on GE's site, part WR55X10967) won't come off -- I hate to break it!

I'm wondering if it's the paddle dispenser based on your comments -- the diagram shows an arm sticking up... part WR17X12306. Could this be it? As you state, if I can get that front electronic panel off I could probably tell if it's okay, right? To be honest, I'm not sure this arm/switch has ever worked that great -- you have had to giggle the glass sometimes to get the water to work.

Thanks for the fast response!

Comment

Model number?

Model Number PFSS5NJW/PSFS5NJW.
        Those look like parts of two different model numbers and I suspect you're just getting them off an informational label and not the appliance's actual identification tag (which will also have the appliance's serial number).

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

Without the correct model number we have no way of knowing if you're even looking at the correct parts diagrams.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

You may have something a simple as a loose mounting screw, or something out of place... so getting that panel off is the key. But you are correct you do not want to break it; however, that plastic is surprisingly durable. Make sure your holding your mouth right when you try.

Comment

That's it --- PFSS5NJWASS

That's it --- PFSS5NJWASS. It's on the metal plate on the refrig.

Comment

I found that model number and it is correct. I found a picture of it but no diagrams to be found so I'm not sure what to tell you as far as taking off the panel. Does the entire door skin come off perhaps? GE is very protective of their diagrams in some cases.

Comment

Sad design

Well, I got the electronic cover off. There are two small holes that hold plastic snap latches right under the front electronic panel. You can get something pointed and 'push up' on the little holes and then pull the snap on electronic cover off the front.

Once that's done, you can remove 4 screws to remove the FLIMSY water dispenser assembly. On the back of the paddle, there is a round area that apparently use to have a pad of some type (I can feel the tacky glue) that would push against the switch that dispensed the water. I added a small pad (used one of those heavy chair fiber pads) over the switch area and everything works great.

What's really bad is this is not the cheapest refrigerator on the market -- and it's total junk. The engineering from GE for this refrig (at least the water dispenser) is terrible. This refrigerator is 2 years old and glued on pads/tabs are falling off the water dispenser.

Comment

Good for you! Yea I didn't want to say it but GE appliances are priced much higher than they should be based on quality. But then again I guess that most things are these days. From the picture I found I'm sure it looks good in your kitchen though.

Comment

GE Profile refridge: PFSS6PKWASS

Hello all - my 3-yr old GE Profile PFSS6PKWASS bottom freezer fridge is having the same problem. It has a combo control-panel water/ice dispenser in the top-left door that has stopped dispensing either. It's acting like the cup switch is dead (or not actuating anyway). No click when you press a glass against it. No abuse, just noticed it one morning. The rest of the buttons/display is still working fine.

I'm handy, but damned if I can figure out how to release the cover around the dispenser! Well, I'm sure I could release it *once* anyway.

I want to examine the cup switch assy. It's acting like it's dead or being ignored. I've already checked the various other interlocks, like the door-open mag/reeds, and icemaker switch -- and they seem to be functioning.

Can anyone shed light on water dispenser disassembly tricks?

Many thanks! ScottMA

Comment

there are screws underneath the plastic diffuser in the door. try to snap the mullion trim off carefully or you'll be replacing that too! there are hooks and screws holding the whole assembly in the door. a wire harness and a water tube will also be here. the water tube comes up through the hollow hinge at the bottom of the door.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMA

GE Profile PFSS6PKWASS bottom freezer fridge.

I'm handy, but damned if I can figure out how to release the cover around the dispenser!
                        I'm afraid I am not familiar with the dispenser mechanism on GE's bottom freezer refrigerator models, sorry.

water/ice dispenser in the top-left door has stopped dispensing either. It's acting like the cup switch is dead (or not actuating anyway). No click when you press a glass against it.
                        If it's not a problem with the switch of the unit, check to make sure the wiring to the door hasn't become disconnected. There should be a wiring connector somewhere around the hinge for removing the door that might have come loose.

JFYI

Dan O.
                        Appliance411.com
                        The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Thanks for the replies HayZee518 and Dan O.

> try to snap the mullion trim off carefully
                          > there are hooks and screws holding the whole assembly in the door

I'm still struggling with how to get in to check the cup switch assy.

Before attempting this I want to make sure what you mean by "mullion trim" (see my pictures below). I can barely fit a credit-card between the trim around the dispenser (tight). And it is solidly fastened -- I'm sure to break it if I don't know *exactly* where to release the tabs. I *hate* this type of design BTW. Give me fricken' screws any day!

[see attached pic: dispenser-trim.jpg]

The one screw shown does absolutely nothing to loosen the trim...and what the hell is that little hole for? Is there some sort of magic tool the repair guy sticks in there to release everything?

[see attached pic: water-ice-dispenser.jpg]

> If it's not a problem with the switch of the unit, check to make sure the
                          > wiring to the door hasn't become disconnected.

Well, the panel display still lights up and the buttons still beep - so unless there are multiple connectors, I don't think that's the issue. But you say it would be somewhere around the hinge. I assume the top hinge since that's the only one that has a plastic cover with enough depth to contain anything. Not obvious how to get into *that* either! Looks like the top panel of this frige is meant to come off...at least there are screws up there!

UPDATE: While screwing around with this I inserted a credit-card up under the plastic shroud near the water/ice outlet (see pic below) and moved it around a bit -- and the next time I pushed the cup switch it worked! I was able to get either water or ice by selecting the various options. Unfortunately, this only lasted as long as it took me to put the screw back in...and I haven't been able to reproduce it since. But, it does indicate that everything is functioning, just seems to be a loose or intermittent connection.

[see attached pic: creditcard-shim.jpg]

So I'm confident I could solve it if I could just get into the damn thing!
                          Any help/ideas appreciated.

ScottMA
                          Last edited by ScottMA; 09-02-2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =