• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore washer bad spin control magnet

Lady Kenmore portable compact washing machine
    Model 110-7460600
    Vintage mid-1970s

Won't spin. The spin control magnet (solenoid) isn't pulling its plunger up.

If I lift the cam bar by hand (using a screwdriver), the tub spins. But the magnet won't keep it up.

With leads disconnected from the magnets, the spin solenoid (coil) has no resistance across its terminals. The wash solenoid measures about 600 ohms. According to the repair manual, this confirms that the spin coil is the problem.

Just to confirm that, I checked voltage. During the wash cycle (manualy advancing the timer, tub empty), the plunger gets 30-40v. When told to spin, it gets about 122V (multimeter is set on AC, right?). The other solenoid (controls washing mode), works okay and gets similar numbers during the wash cycle.

I doubt I'll find a replacement magnet assembly, but would think I can replace the spin solenoid. Except, I can't unscrew the tapered screw that holds the assembly in place.

I really don't want to buy a new $500 washer because of a frozen 25-cent part that keeps me from replacing a $10 part. So questions:

1. I've tried plenty of Liquid Wrench on the tapered screw, tapping it fairly hard to promote penetration. No budge.
    2. The last thing I want is for the screw head to break off, so I'm afraid to use a breaker bar (more leverage)
    3. What is "tapered" about the screw, and why? Does this mean that drilling out the screw isn't a workable solution?
    5. Using a torch or heat gun doesn't seem wise to try. I'd be afraid of burning the belt, or setting the grease (what little is left of it) or solvent on fire.
    4. Any other suggestion?
    5. What voltage should the magnet be getting during when not spinning?
    6. Anyone know a MacGyver/Rube Goldberg solution? I'd settle for that. I'd consider plastic-tying another solenoid next to the bad one, but hooking it up to the cam bar looks questionable.

The bigger reason I don't want to replace the machine: In 35 years I've needed to replace only the pump, timer, and spindle bushing. Yet I would still replace this washer in a minute, IF anyone made anything like it these days. Nobody does. When not hooked up to the kitchen sink, it's my food-prep island, or else tucked nicely under a counter. And with the mechanical timer, I can set any laundry process. Everything these days is too tall, curvy and sometimes flimsy on top, throw-away construction, inflexible, or not movable. I guess portable washers these days live in the bathroom closet?
    Last edited by Sensible; 10-24-2010, 07:20 PM.

yup, everything points to a faulty coil. amybe you can locate an appliance repair place near you that has a mortuary for used washers and get a solenoid off it. otherwise www dot repairclinic dot com might help you.

Comment

'Wig-Wag' solenoid

Kenmore compact washing machine Model 110-7460600
      I'm afraid the Sears parts web site doesn't recognize that model number so I can't look up your actual machine.

the spin solenoid (coil) has no resistance across its terminals.
      That should be a good enough indication it has failed.

I doubt I'll find a replacement magnet assembly
      The one at the following link is common on older Whirlpool built, belted washers. Your Kenmore model was also built by Whirlpool.

LINK > Wigwag Solenoid Assembly

I can't unscrew the tapered screw that holds the assembly in place.
      Sorry but there is no standard procedure for that. You'll have to use your ingenuity.

What is "tapered" about the screw, and why?
      I believe the tip is tapered to fit through a hole in the shaft it's mounted on (see the link below). A new screw is not available to be ordered so if damaged a replacement would likely need to be fabricated or some alternative found.

LINK > The Appliance Clinic: Control Magnet

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
      Last edited by Dan O.; 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks to both. Got the screw out, heating the area about 10 min with an ordinary 1KW hair dryer, keeping a deep socket on the screw as a heat sink. Also held a cold screw driver against the screw for a few seconds, although I doubt that cooled it significantly. Then needed only moderate force.

Getting the assembly off the shaft required another few minutes' go with the heat gun. Put the screw loosely back in the hole to keep heat from hitting the shaft, and lightly attach a vise grip to the shaft as a heat sink. (It also provides a fulcrum for leverage after.) I put a sheet of foam material behind the assembly, to contain the hot air and keep it away from other parts.

Looks like I'll need to put a little grease on the parts when done, since the heat seems to have dried them up.

On this model, no need to tip the washer for all this. But getting the washer housing up on the three supports designed for this access is a bear. (One of them is a bar that swings out.)

As for the replacement, thanks for the link.

I have another thing to fix in the machine, but will post that separately. Subject will be something like:
        Kenmore portable washer agitator slips Model 7460600
        Last edited by Sensible; 10-24-2010, 11:59 PM.

Comment

How do I remove pins from posts?

Got the replacement parts, including new posts. The posts are still serviceable, but I figured I might as well replace them, too.

But the pin that attaches post to cam is peened. How to remove it? Drilling, it just spins with the bit. Can't get a Vice-Grip on it. No room for a hacksaw.

Ground off the peened end with a Dremel tool (minigrinder). Went quick.

The replacement pins come with jam clips to hold them. Will probably need to replace those in 10-20 years.
          Last edited by Sensible; 10-28-2010, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I was thinking about this - you could possibly get a solenoid coil that fits an ASCO valve. It would be a green molded coil with two wires.

Comment

Problem solved!

Done. And not only did it solve the spin problem, it solved the agitator problem, too!

SPIN PROBLEM SOLVED. AGITATOR PROBLEM REMAINS. SEE UPDATE POSTED BELOW.

See also:
              Kenmore portable washer agitator slips
              Last edited by Sensible; 10-30-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Fixed!

not only did it solve the spin problem, it solved the agitator problem
                Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com
                The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Agitator problem is back

CORRECTION:

A few washes later...

The washer still spins great, but the "slipping agitator" problem is back. Improved, but catches on only about 80% of the agitation cylces. Once it catches, it's fine for the rest of that cycle.

Thoughts, anyone? Please reply at:

Last edited by Sensible; 10-30-2010, 09:49 AM.

Comment

the wig-wag solenoid pushes in on an internal clutch in the transmission which in turn is geared to the agitator. in the other direction it disengages the clutch and pulls in gearing for the pump.

Comment

Thanks, HayZee518. You're saying it's inside the transmission? Bad news. I was hoping it was some linkage to it.

I lubed all moving metal-to-metal moving parts I could see, including where the cams slide on the housing and under the spring that presses on the cams. Maybe I missed someplace that's binding?

BTW, I did not lube the solenoid posts or glides. Instructions say not to, and I agree.

Also, there was a very light spring on the original agitator solenoid/cam post, which I reused. Not documented in the instructions, nor among the replacement parts. No spring found on the spin post.

We should take the agitator discussion to:

Last edited by Sensible; 10-30-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =