• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore portable washer agitator slips Model 7460600

Lady Kenmore portable washing machine
    Model 110-7460600
    Vintage mid-1970s

Relatively recently, I replaced the Centerpost Gasket on this very old but trusty machine. The tub had been leaking so long I'm embarrassed to say. The new gasket fixed that, and while I was at it, I cleaned up the Drive Block, fixed a little rust etc.

Eventually, though, it wouldn't agitate correctly. The agitator seemed to be slipping. (It moved, but only a few degrees, and it sounded different.) At first this happened intermittently. Now it happens all the time.

I've discovered that if I wait till the wash cycle starts, then I pause the washer (push the dial in), and simply turn the agitator a bit, it's fine for the rest of that cycle. Sometimes, that means turning it several degrees till I hit resistance, sometimes it means virtually no distance at all -- just enough pressure to snug it up. (This procedure has no effect if I do it before the machine has sensed that the chosen water is reached. In fact, it is impossible, since the agitator is not engaged during the fill cycle.)

I don't have much clue on this one, but am thinking that, because snugging it up "fixes" it, it's not due to worn vanes on the spindle not grabbing the drive block (although they are fairly worn, if I remember right). My guess is it's due to some sort of wear in the gearcase, probably having aged "prematurely," what with all that soapy water coursing through it for months. I hope not. Standing by to encourage it would be far easier than a gearcase renewal.

The drive block does seem to be well tightened. (I have the special wrench needed for managing the drive block Locknut.)

Any better insight into this? Is it likely to worsen further?

Could this be related to the bad spin solenoid (described my post http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...ol-magnet.html)? The agitation solenoid seems to work okay, but it sure would be nice if replacing that assembly fixed this, too!

UPDATE: I replaced the spin and agitator solenoids (described in http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum/appliances/9435-kenmore-washer-bad-spin-control-magnet.html ), after which the agitator behavior improved, but still slips sometimes. See post below. BTW, the electrical resistance of both new solenoids tested okay before installation, about 550 ohms.

ALSO: I also replaced the posts that connect the solenoids (control magnets) to the cams. In doing so, I found a very lightweight spring on the agitator post (none on the spin post). The spring is not documented in the DIY manual, nor in the instructions that came with the parts (and was not included with the new parts). I re-used the spring. Don't know why there's none on the spin post. The control magnets were never previously serviced.

So far, the only practical fix I can imagine is a bungee cord.

SEE ALSO: http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...ol-magnet.html
    Last edited by Sensible; 10-30-2010, 08:47 AM. Reason: Updated information. Original info is grayed out.

CORRECTION: Slipping Agitator problem NOT solved!

Apparently this problem was related to the bad spin solenoid. Although the agitator solenoid tested okay, replacing the solenoid assembly (and thus the spin solenoid which tested bad) not only got the washer spinning again, but fixed the agitator problem, too.

CORRECTION: No, it didn't solve the agitator problem, after all. See post below.

See also:
    "Kenmore washer bad spin control magnet"
    Last edited by Sensible; 10-30-2010, 08:11 AM. Reason: Problem returned

Comment

Still having the agitator problem.

CORRECTION: Replacing both solenoids didn't solve this problem, after all.

The washer spins reliably, but on agitator cycles, the agitator "grabs" on only about three or four out of five cycles. This is better than none, but something's still wrong, and is the rate I experienced when this problem started. So if that pattern holds, it will get worse.

As before, once it catches, or if I manually turn it (as I've described), it's okay for the rest of that cycle.

When manual turning is needed to assist it, the amount of turning required still varies. Sometimes just a few degrees, sometimes up to a quarter of a turn or so.

My gut feeling is the problem is somewhere below the tub, not at the top of the spindle. It seems the slipping might occur when the washer has been idle for awhile, but I haven't done enough washes to see a pattern for sure. For example, the first wash today, it skipped on the wash cycle. On the rinse cycle, it worked. In the past, rinse cycles have also been problematic.

Thoughts, anyone?

See also:

Updated info above (in red)
      and
      Last edited by Sensible; 10-30-2010, 08:46 AM.

Comment

if you go to repairclinic dot com and just type in or choose [washer][kenmore] [transmission] four pages of parts pops up. I saw the wig-wag solenoid coils only as well as the whole wig-wag assembly. There's clutch parts, springs etc on those four pages. prices are out of this world because of the age of the machine. I saw one part for the clutch and basket drive for $164.50.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks. I got the whole wig-wag from Appliance411, as suggested by Dan O in my other thread, but have also used RepairClinic before. Both are good, and the difference in prices is minor, considering. But my shade tree will have to grow a lot, lot taller before I take the entire machine apart and pack that kind of money into it.

But am curious why the agitator worsened, from occasionally not catching, to virtually never catching (a period of guessing 20-40 washes?), yet after replacing the wigwag, now it usually works okay.

Clutch temperature?

Comment

on agitator cycles, the agitator "grabs" on only about three or four out of five cycles.
            If it's not the agitator slipping on the transmission shaft, it could be worn gearing inside the transmission (gearcase).

My guess is it's due to some sort of wear in the gearcase
            Mine as well.

But am curious why the agitator worsened, from occasionally not catching, to virtually never catching, yet after replacing the wigwag, now it usually works okay
            Maybe some component inside the transmission was manipulated during the part installation and now just the main transmission problem remains?

There might also be a slim chance of a loose wiring connection to the wig wag. The wire of its wiring harness can sometimes break inside the plastic coating resulting in intermittent electrical connection and operation of the coils. Maybe your manual manipulation of the agitator moves the coils slightly, just enough to connect the intermittent wiring connection?

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks. I'll keep these possibilities in mind over the next few loads and post back if I see a pattern or not.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =