Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is silastic sealer?

What is silastic sealer?

Is it the same as acoustic sealant (non-hardening, doesn't shrink)?

Where do I get either?

The name should be a tip off to the product. sil= silicone. lastic = flexible. Silicone sealer is a silastic product that remains flexible upon curing. Acetic acid is part of the vehicle that evaporates out when the product cures. It is a polymer.
    It is available at any big box store. It is made in clear, black and white.
    RTV Silicone a product manufactured by General Electric can be made to "semi-conduct" as it is used in side packing of generator stator bars.

Comment

Thanks. In that case, it's not the same as acoustic sealant, which remains very pliable. Silicone sealant is said to shrink, which if not firmly bonded to the surrounding area would allow sound through, although I don't know how long that would take, or if it's even true.

I once encountered something probably like the acoustic stuff (or maybe exactly like it) in a Mercury Capri bought new. Apparently the wiring harness had been modified at the factory and went from the front fender into the passenger compartment through an "undocumented" hole. Rather than use a connector or gasket, the hole was sealed with some kind of putty that was highly malleable and non-sticky, even 10-15 years later when I discovered this. Haven't seen anything like it since, but descriptions of the acoustic stuff sound like it.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =