Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Theater

I recently had my family room remodled and asked the contractor to wire the room for surround sound, which he did. Unfortunately, when he put in the wall board, he covered up the location of the wiring without putting jacks or junction boxes at the terminal ends. I do have a junction box with all of the loose ends in the wall where my tv is located.

Is there a way to easily locate the other ends of the wires behind the wall without having to cut out pieces of the wallboard?

Ohhhh man, I thought you wanted to talk about your home theater, components, players display, software, HD, etc., etc..... I'd love to see some pictures.

Golly, I don't have any idea unless trial and error in the general area of the surround speakers locations....... Maybe one of the experts will answer.
    sorry, Tom
    Vinyl and Laserdisc Fan

Comment

Only way I know to find those wires is go pick up a telephone wire toner. These can be bought now at Home Depot. They consisit of a little box that emits a pulse tone that you connect to the one end of the wire and a probe that you can run along the outside of the drywall to see where the tone will be the strongest. You should be able to trace each wire with a tone as it goes along the drywall until it gets the strongest and then it will just stop and you gone too far.

These are listed under electrical and testers on the Home Depot site

Last edited by KSever; 01-28-2006, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =