Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subwoofer Connected Improperly -- Now WHINING!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer Connected Improperly -- Now WHINING!

I suspect one of my (3!) five year olds took it upon himself to reconnect my powered Cerwin Vega subwoofer. Whereas it was originally connected properly to LFE input (low level output) from my JVC receiver - someone connected it IMproperly to the LEFT speaker *output* (high level output). I got ready to crank up James Bond in Thunderball and suddenly a high pitch whine began emanating from the subwoofer. I immediately shut everything off and un-hooked the subwoofer but I fear something is wrong with the subwoofer (or worse the JVC receiver). Does anyone have any suggestions? Or ideas as to what happened? I am willing to replace whatever components need replaced in the subwoofer but I need further direction as to what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance!

Tony Haynes
    tonyhaynes1@yahoo.com

you may have blown the voice coil or the cone. what's happening now is the coil form is hitting the magnet inside the speaker. those windings on the voice coil are very fine magnet wire like around .002 mil

Comment

Speakers

the high pitched whine is coming from a shorted voice coil. usually rated at 8 ohms, its value changed to something higher. other things that can happen, excessive bass will rip the cone or dislodge the spider which supports the cone and voice coil. the coil moves up and down in the air gap with varying frequencies and amplitude. bass will shred the paper or composite cone if driven high enough and very high frequencies will cause the spider to become unglued from the frame.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =