Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to mount a plasma on brick

pay no mind to the old guy in the picture... he follows me everywhere and I just ignore him.

now, the question...

I plan on purchasing a 50 - 60 inch flat screen and mount it on the (real) brick wall behind where the tv in the picture is.

what would I use for hardware
    AND
    would I drill holes for the hardware into the bricks themselves or the morter between the bricks?

local hardware store will have all you need, a lot of choices, Tap Con, Rawl etc.
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Originally posted by Java_Bob View Post
      local hardware store will have all you need, a lot of choices, Tap Con, Rawl etc.

gotta be honest... as much as I appreciate the response, it helps ummm... not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by pbc View Post
        gotta be honest... as much as I appreciate the response, it helps ummm... not so much.

ok, go here the best I could do

Concrete Screws ~ Tapcon® Technical Information ~ Concrete Fastening Systems
        Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Concrete anchor bolts would be another suggestion, the ones that you drill a hole insert the bolt and as you tighten it pulls a wedge up to force the shaft to expand. All hardware stores will have them in various sizes, if it were me I'd be looking at 2" x 5/16" as a min.
          Tapcons are good, not sure I'd trust them to hold my 60" TV.
          If the hole size is to be larger than the mortar size then it's (sorta) OK to drill the mortar lines, I always prefer to drill into solid brick rather than mortar and NEVER drill into mortar with Tapcons....NEVER.
          There is no structural integrity to mortar, it simply acts as a "holder" of masonry.

PS. Were you and the "Old Guy" getting in touch with your feminine side watching the View?
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
            Concrete anchor bolts would be another suggestion, the ones that you drill a hole insert the bolt and as you tighten it pulls a wedge up to force the shaft to expand. All hardware stores will have them in various sizes, if it were me I'd be looking at 2" x 5/16" as a min.
            Tapcons are good, not sure I'd trust them to hold my 60" TV.
            If the hole size is to be larger than the mortar size then it's (sorta) OK to drill the mortar lines, I always prefer to drill into solid brick rather than mortar and NEVER drill into mortar with Tapcons....NEVER.
            There is no structural integrity to mortar, it simply acts as a "holder" of masonry.

PS. Were you and the "Old Guy" getting in touch with your feminine side watching the View?
            THATS what I needed to know. I'll practice drilling holes into some spare bricks I have kicking around. THANKS

Damn that Tivo!

Comment

brick is never the most ideal material to fasten anything to. it is basically clay that has been fired into a hard porous substance. some brick is softer than others - some are rock hard. but non the less still porous. I would use something that can be solidly anchored in the brick. RAWL tamp ins come to mind. this is a fastener that has a backwards conical wedge with a lead sleeve. you use a tool to tamp in the lead and expand it in the hole. a regular screw thread bolt goes into the fastener. hilti THUNDER-STUD is another fastener that I would bet my life on. THUNDER-STUD is all steel with a wedge machined in the base and a split sleeve that wedges itself in the hole bottom as the bolt part is taken up.

Comment

I think I used those maybe 30 years ago during a stint in a manufacturing factory job I had. They (or the things I used to hold steel 4x4 steel pads to a concrete floor) were two piece metal that expanded in a hole when a lag bolt was inserted and tightened.

Nonetheless, I've been thinking about drilling into the fireplace wall (in the pic) a lot and think I will just go with a stand setting on the ledge (where that old guy is in the pic. I dont think I want to make permenant holes that will be there long after the tv is gone.

Thanks everyone! and HAPPY FATHERS DAY

Comment

what yer talking about are shields and lag bolts. RAWL plugs are a metal inverted wedge with lead formed around them. you use a setting tool to hammer the lead in place leaving a standard bolt thread in place. THUNDER STUDS you drill a hole , press in the anchor and draw up on a nut that expands the sleeve in the hole

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =