Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repair HT sub amp. Have electronics experience.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair HT sub amp. Have electronics experience.

IN a nut shell, HT sub just decided to start blowing fuses. Amp was removed and isolated on the bench. resistance across input AC terminals in .9Mohms, no visual damage, nothing leaking to chassis ground. Has to be something in the power supply stage when energized due to blowing the fuse so fast when turned on.

Basically power comes in and goes through a few filter caps and a transformer. then to a bridge rect, some more caps and another transformer, then out to the transistors and other circuits.

Any ideas on what to be looking for? Ie, I don;t have specific experience fixing amps so not sure if they would point an experienced guy right to filter caps or what... I really doubt the transformers are bad. I was kind of suspecting the bridge of leaking in the input side and causing a short. Just not sure.

bridge rectifiers consist of four diodes in one package. look at it like a diamond shape. ac goes into two opposing points of the diamond and dc comes off the other two diamond points, one will be positive the other will be negative. if one of the diodes in the bridge is shorted, the fuse will most certainly blow every time. a shorted electrolytic capacitor in the filter circuit will also blow the fuse every time.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =