Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general question about repairing Receivers

I have just unpacked possessions from storage and have found what used to be decent stereo equipment and some fun vintage equipment. I repaired my 14-year-old Yamaha Turntable by simply replacing the belt and it works like a dream. I just put the Dual 1237 on line for $25 because I don't need a second one (if anyone wants it) but now am having trouble with the receivers. I have three. And, they are all at least 15 years old -- but decent quality. The speakers are very high-quality B&W from Boston. And, although I used the speaker wires I had (at least ten years old), I stripped new wire clean to insert. I am convinced there is something simple to repairing the receivers -- whether it is the 30-year-old Kenwood or the 15-year-old Yamaha because in general it is the speaker buttons being pushed in/out or volume button being turned that is causing static and disengaging the sound -- for example, on my Yamaha, the sound plays fine for 15 min. then suddenly bounces on and off and then when I push the A&B speaker buttons in and get them just right holding them in between in/out, the sound is fully engaged. But, obviously, that will not work.

My questions: 1) is it wear and tear or likely dirt & dust? 2) should I unscrew the cover and just try to dust the interior or is that opening a can or worms? 3) is it that the buttons just wore down and need to be replaced? Therefore, it is likely I will not be able to do so for any amount minimal enough to make it worthwhile? 4) Could it be the speaker wire? Seems unlikely because it directly relates to the buttons.

Next question; My Yamaha 5-CD changer: The movers left 5 CDs inside and the thing was packed for 8 years with CDs likely awkwardly jamming the changer inside -- not the changer works fine to play a CD but will not rotate or open/close easily because obviously the 5 stacked CDs that sat there for a while loosened the drawer so it only moves in/out if my hand is there to slightly lift the drawer to a smooth transition. Is something like that possibly repaired by tightening the drawer or is the mechanism likely a groove-type mechanism that cannot be tightened? THANKS.
Working...
X
=