Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formica over Formica?

I want to refinish my kitchen counters. Is there any reason why I can't glue (contact cement) new mica over the old? Is it just a matter of roughing up the old surface to give the glue 'teeth' to bond? Has anyone done this? I'm new here and it looks like a great site. Thanks

StevenGould

Scuff it good. Coarse sand paper would do the trick. Just wear a good dust mask, rubber gloves, and NO POWER SANDING!!!!, Use a good tak cloth to clean up, and get that contact cement down!

Comment

Be very careful when you position the new formica. Once the contact cement dries both on the substrate and the new formica, any contact is a sure bond and won't forgive. use thin spacers of wood to position the new stuff over the old. When you're satisfied on how it will lay, remove the spacers one by one and press down firmly. Then follow up with a mallet and block of wood or a laminate roller.

Comment

Although the coarse sand paper suggestion mentioned earlier may be sufficient on its own Steven, an additional safeguard to the job turning out right is to use a utility knife or laminate cutter to score the old laminate with a series of parallel diagonal lines (3" apart approx’), first from right to left, then from left to right to so that a diamond pattern is formed.

Terry

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!
        www.easycarpentry.com

Comment

I know this is an old post but I have to show my appreciation for it. My wife and I are buying a home and she doesn't care for the countertops in the kitchen (kinda a bright blue in a way). They are laminate tops and I was wondering if I have to struggle taking the older stuff off or if I could just put new laminate over it. This thread seems to answer my question, however, if anyone has additional input, id be glad to read it!

~G~

"All that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be" - R. Waters

Comment

The only problems would be handling any rounded over edges or the 'fillet' to the splashboard. If it's all square....have at it! I handled our kitchen a bit different. My wife didn't like what was heere either. We purchased the tops from Home Depot in the color/[pattern she liked. The problem was to mimick the odd angled end for the sink top. The original was cut at somethion like a 40 degree angle and another cut across the same corner at something like an 81 degree angle. No way could I mimick that, as it had to match the old top to cover the existing cabinets. I called the local shop that does counter work and explained my case. Well, they were fantastic to work with! They actually were anxious for the 'challenge'! Even invited me in to see their shop! I like working with people like that. Willing to take on 'the-challenge'....I'd recommend them in a heartbeat and will always send my work to them. It was done PERFECT!

Comment

One more item on this topic since I have done this in the past. If you glue onto of old laminate, you must first make sure the old surface is still glued firmly in place. Otherwise the new surface will peel both layers.
              Sand and glue works. If you do not have experience with contact cement, try some samples first. Two coats on both surfaces is best. Wait till the glue drys till it won't stick to your finger.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
              X
              =