Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning formica

I have a large shiny black formica topped table that has what looks like darker possibly oil spots some small round 1/4", some 6"x2" long. Whether they are on or in the surface, I can't tell, but the surface is all shiny. The table is 40 years old and heavy piles of magazines and newspapers have lain on it. They have been moved and replaced at times for at least a year without any cleaning. It's possible that the spots have bled in from these magazines and newspapers, but I am only guessing. A few days ago someone wiped Pledge on the table but I wiped it off the next day. That's when I noticed the spots but I would guess they had been there for some time.

I have tried soap and water, turpentine, Countertop Magic, Softscrub, Fantastik, and see no major results except some brown coming off onto the rags used. This may be from the spots or may be from something else.

Any suggestions other than keep trying and rubbing?

AlanM

Only thing I can say is that the ink has bled and whatever is there is too old to stay. Replace the formica or try sanding with a coarse paper to provide bite and refinish with an epoxy two-part.

Comment

Try calling 1-800-FORMICA (1-800-367-6422). Tell them your situation, maybe they'd have a suggestion....

Comment

Working...
      X
      =