Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I install base cabinets on a carpet floor

Hi,

I'm about to install a base cabinet for the first time in my basement, and I would like to know if it is okay to install the base cabinets on the carpet floor. Or should I remove the carpet and just install the cabinets on the concrete floor?

Thanks,
    leo

It would not be a good idea. One problem could be uneven settling. Also, if there is ever a water problem, the carpet would stay wet and wick the moisture up into the cabinet side.

Comment

If the base cabinet needed to be shimmed up - it would be like resting it on a sponge and would move every which way. Measure out from the wall and cut the carpet to the concrete. When you're done use a piece of quarter round to hide any boo-boos between the cabinet and finish flooring

Comment

One way to avoid cutting the carpet is to sit the cabinet on a simple planed timber subframe Leo. That way if there is any water egress you’re original carcase won’t be compromised - simply trash the first frame and make another! The choice of which size of timber you decide to use - 2" x 2", 3" or 4" – will largely depend on any finished height restrictions you may have.

Alternately, if you think that removing the carpet offers a better solution to your own particular requirements but are unsure as to whether you can cut it to the exact size needed try this solution:

• Cut the carpet to the base units size less ¾".
        • Fix 3 no. 1" x 2" battens (2 x width, 1 x length) to the concrete floor tight to the cut carpet.
        • Cut and fix 3 no. 4" x ¾" ply plinths (kickers) to the 1" x 2" battens. The 4" measurement is purely arbitrary and should be adjusted accordingly.You may find that 3" x 5/8" better suits your needs for instance, or even 2" x ¾".

The beauty of this method is twofold Leo:

a) It doesn’t matter how ragged or uneven the carpet edges have been cut they’ll always be hidden by the plinth and...

b) once the the plinth strips have been levelled and fixed to the floor battens the base unit won't need to be adjusted in that repect!

Hope this helps

Terry Cousins

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!
        www.easycarpentry.com

Comment

For Terry: This is a very elegant solution. As usual, I am enriched every day by what others have to say on these forums. Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =