Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me fill up an empty garage.

The previous owner converted the garage into a spare bedroom. I just changed it back into a garage.
    Now there's nothing but a concrete slab and a closet. It's only 16' x 12'.

Would like to fit as much stuff(tools, snowblower and other junk)as possible and still actually use it to park my car.

Any suggestions for storage, shelves, racks, etc.?

Thanks

Dan
    Dan

Set up a 4x8 sheet that you can put the mower, rakes, snowblower on. Attach a 3/16 cable to the four corners and feed them to four pulleys at the ceiling. Attatch them to a single cable and feed to a small winch on the wall. Not my idea. Saw it in a Popular Mechanics or some such...

Comment

Check out the rubbermaid company. If I remember correctly they have poly coated wire shelving that goes up in minutes and interlock with each other forming a storage unit.

Comment

Garage space

First figure out what you want to store,how big ect. Make a rough idea diagram.Use as much of the available wall space.Do you want to use plywood for flooing on joists, lots of room up there. Decide how low the highest shelf needs to be under the joists and use 1/2" or 3/4" plywood and cut 8' long by12" 18" 30" 36" wide shelves. You'll know what will work for you. Go all the way around the garage. Use 2"x2" for for shelf supports, space as needed for weight miter the ends for the shelf and attache at the studs,pre drill before trying to screw through the mitered ends. Keep coming down as far as you like,you can taylor this system to your height&width requirments.If you want an open space for a work bench or an open space to hang garden tools run a 2x4 along the studs use suitable hooks and hang whatever. I suggest leaving the snow blower and mower on the floor,they are heavy,expensive and use gasoline(could be dangerous and not convienient to use either. Dollar for dollar you'll get more shelving with lumber, just use your imagination.
        If you go with pulley and platform system don't put too much weight on one or two rafters or joists,you could be looking at a sagging roof in the future.

Comment

your garage

Dan I can build you some cabinets if you are wanting to put some money into it. Just let know if you are interested.

Clint
          custom_wood_n_things@yahoo.com

Originally posted by dkpbxman View Post
          The previous owner converted the garage into a spare bedroom. I just changed it back into a garage.
          Now there's nothing but a concrete slab and a closet. It's only 16' x 12'.

Would like to fit as much stuff(tools, snowblower and other junk)as possible and still actually use it to park my car.

Any suggestions for storage, shelves, racks, etc.?

Thanks

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X
          =