Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Countertop wont come out.

Hey man, I'm so frustrated right now. I removed every screw that could possibly be holding down the countertop, but it’s not coming out. I am able to lift it a little bit but something is holding it down by the corner and the wall. The countertop is sandwiched between the cabinet at the bottom and the backsplashes from the top. I do not want to remove the backsplashes. I was hoping that after I'd take out the screws it'll just slide out but damn, this is not happening no matter how hard I try to pull it out. I even drilled the holes on the countertop and put a rope through it and pulled it with three other people but it is just not moving even an inch.

Let me give you a link of pictures so you can look at it yourself. Unfortunately the laminate cracked too. So now I have to buy a big sheet of the same color and design. Home depot guy told me that they don’t keep the laminate sheets no more. He told me that I need to pick a color and design from a bunch of samples that they had and make a special order through them and it will cost me at least $50 bucks. I looked at the samples but there was none that was close to the one I need. So I'm thinking maybe I should change the color of all the laminate in the kitchen to a new one.

here are the pictures: picasaweb.google.com/112202191947655952319/Stage2?feat=directlink

Comment

And then there was light

Finally some success! but this rain is slowing me down.
      So I decided to remove all of the laminate, because I wasnt able to find the exact match. Anyway, I got a big giant size laminate roll from Lowes for $50 bucks. I removed all the old laminate from the kitchen and when I did that what did I find? I found out that the back splash which was now exposed, was all soaked up in water and all damaged. So I took out the entire splash back board and guess what. The counter that refused to come out earlier came out like it was ready to go.

I want to go and get a 3/4 inch 4x8 piece but as I stated earlier, this rain aint taking a break. Now its all just about cutting, fitting, pasting and screwing. I am taking pictures as I am working it out and I will upload them once I'm done with it.

Comment

cabinets...

Sounds very good, Skyruler87. You sure are making fine progress. Dig up the name of that faucet company and give them a call. They may have a cartridge replacement program like Moen and some others....I'm glad you pulled the back splash. Water has an insidious way of making it's way through lots of stuff. Cleaning it to the wall studs would've been my first approach. Slap a new drywall sheet horizontal so it's all fresh from floor up to the top of the splash. Or wherever the water damage is at. There's no paining or plastering needed if it's all in back of cabinets and sinks and such. I must say you are doing very well indeed....

Comment

Status...

Hi, Skyruler87. You're pretty ambitious with this project. What's your status on it?

Comment

90% done

I am almost done. I have to drill the holes for the sink fasteners (having a little problem doing so). I am waiting for the faucet to arrive. (I just ordered online). I have put the countertop and the backsplashes back into their place and it looks good. Also put laminate rubber paste in the gaps. Still have to put the laminate on the sides of the countertop. (Can’t cut the laminate straight the stripes that I need to cut are two narrow. The jig saw doesn’t cut straight all the way). But I will manage it somehow. I also made a new base for the cabinet, which got damaged by the water under the sink. I made it using the plywood. I also put back the doors and the drawers back together and everything looks pretty good. I have pictures but I will upload those when I will get all the work done.

Any tips about drilling the holes for the clamps and also about cutting the laminate straight will be appreciated.

Comment

Cabinets...

Sounds great, Skyruler. Usually laminate is glued to the backing and then trimmed with a router using laminate trimming bits or a laminate trimmer. Because of their high rotation speed there's much less chance of chipping. The jigsaw you're using will be chipping the edges to a pretty high degree. But it appears you're accomplishing a lot. What holes are you speaking off about holding the sink? How did the wet drywall come out? Was it pretty solid once dry?

Comment

I wanted to change the dry wall it was really cheap but to change it I'd have to take the cabinets out completely. I just wanted to get it over with. So, I decided not to worry about it as it was dry. Maybe there will be mold growing behind the wall but oh well.

The holes that I was talking about are for the sink fasteners. Remember those little clamps that are holding down the sink in its place. They are fixed along the wood around the sink. a part of them grabs the sink and the other goes inside a hole in the wood. I need to drill those holes so I can use the clamps and hold the sink down in its place.

I have to take more pictures. I have stuff sitting on the counter. Once I remove every thing laying on it to get some clear pictures, I'll upload them.

here are some pictures: picasaweb.google.com/112202191947655952319/Stage3?feat=directlink

Comment

Kitchen cabinets...

That's quite a project. And you are making great progress. Trimming Formica is a tricky job. You did well, and this site will help your skills even further. Although the edge is not factory smooth, you may be able to achieve a straighter edge by checking that site. The pictures you post are very helpful and descriptive of what you were up against. They're also a testament to your achievement. What you mention about the sink hold downs is intriguing. I never saw a sink that was held down in such a fashion. Would it be possible to use the old underlayment or Formica as a pattern for drilling those holes? Sure would be good if you could get near those locations that way.

Comment

Done!

So after about 15 days, I am finally done...well almost( waiting for the faucet). I have uploaded all the pictures and the tools that I used. Everything that I bought totaled to approximately $350. Everything was bought from Home Depot, Lowes and a cheap local hardware store near my house. It cost me this much because some of the items I bought were not needed but since I used them anyways, I couldn't return them. I learned a lot though. So the experience is priceless. Now I can do this kind of stuff more easily and more efficently. I have the tools now so the next project wont be this costly. By the way, what do you think the contracter or carpenter would have charged me for all this, if I would have hired him?

A lot was learned from the mistakes I made and it will help me in the future and if I'll need any help I know that my friends here at homerepairforum have got my back. Thanks mrcaptainbob for all your help and time.

Here are the final pictures: picasaweb.google.com/112202191947655952319/FinalStage?feat=directlink

Skyruler87
                    Last edited by skyruler87; 05-01-2010, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Kitchen remodel...

Many employers would wish new hires would learn as quick as you did on this project, Skyruler. Very impressive progress. How did you manage the fastening of the sink to the counter top? Since you now have a bit of experience with Formica, check out that Formica site I sent you. IF you plan any future laminate work a router with a couple of laminate carbide bits will be a great addition to your tool inventory. Thank you so much for sharing the progress with the super photo collection. It helped all of us share the experience and more easily understand the job.

Comment

You know what, I just realized how powerful words of encouragement can be. I wouldn't have dared to take on this project if you wouldn’t have guided and encouraged me along the way. I really appreciate that. I was really thinking about hiring someone to do this job for me. Everyone in my family thought I was crazy to even think that I could do such a thing. (They were never DIY people). But my uncle recently came by and saw my work and was pretty impressed. He asked me if I could help him change his kitchen laminate. My aunt’s kitchen countertop has the same damage as mine did behind the faucet and under the sink. In July I'll redo her countertop as well.

I did not get that website that you wanted me to check out. I looked for the link but there wasn't any. Can you please send it to me again?

I have the clamps for the sink but I will wait for the faucet to arrive first and then I'll use those clamps to fasten the sink.

Comment

Laminate tops.

How to Trim Formica | eHow.com

How to Install Plastic Laminate-Formica

A few additions for working with laminates like Formica: Leave the laminate in the sun for a while. Warming it up makes a big difference in cutting. The colder they are, the more they chip. There's also a special hand tool that can be used for scoring the laminate. A few passes with this along a straight edge to make a nice a nice score and you can snap it to size. Check out any box store for tools specifically used for plastic laminates. They're relatively cheap and do a great job.
                          Sorry for forgetting about including the site in the previous post!

Comment

So, it means that you might need to remove your cabinet to inspect the hidden floor at the bottom of the cabinet. That seems to be a hard thing to do on your cabinet.

Comment

I read your post and was inspired to do the same repairs myself. but there is one question. Can I use a laminate in the kitchen and not whether it will be damadeg by the water.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =